Moderator Control Panel ]

Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby kel108 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me?

I'm trying to find out any information on my Great Grandmother Ivy.

She was born Ivy Margery Franks in Walsall, UK in 1910

Then married my Great Grandad Sidney Kenyon in 1930

They had two children; Ronald and Sidney (My Grandad)

After my Great Grandad died in the war, Ivy remarried Albert Chalavan in 1942 in Portsmouth

They had two children (there is possibly one more?) Margaret and Albert C L Chalavan.

Ivy then married for a 3rd time to Sidney Hurford in 1957 in Walsall.

I can't find any more information on Ivy or her children with Albert Chalavan.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks :)
kel108
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby sdup26 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:32 pm

I can find only the two children you name for Ivy and Albert Chalavan - one in Portsmouth, one in Devon - can't find a third. There's a death registration in 1978 for Ivy Margery Hurford born 5/10/1910, and if you want to send for the death certificate, the reference is Dec Quarter 1978, Walsall 34 0291.
sdup26
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby kel108 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:42 pm

sdup26 wrote:I can find only the two children you name for Ivy and Albert Chalavan - one in Portsmouth, one in Devon - can't find a third. There's a death registration in 1978 for Ivy Margery Hurford born 5/10/1910, and if you want to send for the death certificate, the reference is Dec Quarter 1978, Walsall 34 0291.


Thank you :)

My mum said she thought there was three and I could only find the two so now someone has confirmed it, I guess something was lost in translation within the family! When my Grandad passed away we found he had kept documents Ivy had from the war when her then Husband (Sidney) was missing presumed dead at Sea. It made me want to find out more about that side of the family. It's good to fill in some blanks.
kel108
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Perhaps Albert Chalavan already had a child from a previous marriage who was known to your mum as a great-aunt or uncle even though there was no blood tie? Or perhaps your mum was mistaken after all?
ksouthall
 
Posts: 1916
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby kel108 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:59 am

ksouthall wrote:Perhaps Albert Chalavan already had a child from a previous marriage who was known to your mum as a great-aunt or uncle even though there was no blood tie? Or perhaps your mum was mistaken after all?


Hi,

Yes I guess that's a possibility too. I'm 23 and fairly new to researching my family but I've been really enjoying it so far. I hope to find out a lot more about the people I've already discovered and see if I can gain more insight into what their lives were like. I have loads of photos from decades gone by, if only my Grandparents and Great Grandparents had written on the back to indicate who everyone was I think that might be half the battle!!
kel108
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby sdup26 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 am

I couldn't agree more about family photos. I was given a lot of them a few years back, and although there were names on the back, it didn't help. 'Mary' could have been one of three, and 'John when young' was useless! It spurred me into putting mini-histories on the backs of all my own, more recent family photos, for any descendents of mine who may be interested.
sdup26
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby sdup26 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm

I’ve just found a 1937 birth entry for a John Kenyon in Devonport, mother’s maiden name Franks. Is it possible the three children you were told about were from Ivy’s first marriage, not the second? Of course, this entry may not be a child of Ivy’s, and the surnames could be just coincidence. If you want to find out by sending for the birth certificate, the details are: June Q 1937, John Kenyon, mother’s maiden name Franks, Devonport 5b 470
sdup26
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby Mick Loney » Tue May 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Don't write off the 3rd child too lightly. My mother often spoke of her two sibling Valerie & Billie, who died very young, yet I have never found a record for either, but I don't doubt for a second that they existed. Likewise for my grandfather, who according to GRO was never born!

Mike


Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 am

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby kel108 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 pm

sdup26 wrote:I’ve just found a 1937 birth entry for a John Kenyon in Devonport, mother’s maiden name Franks. Is it possible the three children you were told about were from Ivy’s first marriage, not the second? Of course, this entry may not be a child of Ivy’s, and the surnames could be just coincidence. If you want to find out by sending for the birth certificate, the details are: June Q 1937, John Kenyon, mother’s maiden name Franks, Devonport 5b 470


Wow that's possibly or very coincidental. Thank you so much, I will buy the birth certificate to verify whether that's a match. Thanks again. And yes I agree with you when you said about writing a little note on the backs of photos now for future generations if they're interested, I try to put rough dates on as well as locations and anything else that would interest me if I was the one who had stumbled upon them!
kel108
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Ivy Margery Franks/Kenyon/Chalavan/Hurford

Postby AntonyM » Sat May 23, 2015 1:29 pm

kel108 wrote: And yes I agree with you when you said about writing a little note on the backs of photos now for future generations if they're interested, I try to put rough dates on as well as locations and anything else that would interest me if I was the one who had stumbled upon them!


A very good idea but make sure you use pencil - many inks can gradually work through the paper over time and spoil the photo, pencil won't and isn't likely to fade either.
AntonyM
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:12 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire

Next

Return to General research queries


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests