Moderator Control Panel ]

Henry Jones, 18th Brigade RA in India - help!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Henry Jones, 18th Brigade RA in India - help!

Postby hollyvongrimm » Thu May 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello!

So I've reached something of a dead end in my research! Henry Jones is listed on an 1873 baptism certificate as a Bombardier, G. 18th Brigade RA in Bellary, Madras India. I'd love to find out more about him and go further back, but I have no confirmed birth or death date for him, and I'm struggling to find any military records for him that might tell me more.
Could anyone tell me where I should look to find out more about his military career? I know that the British Museum has some records from India, would that be the next place to try??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
hollyvongrimm

Re: Henry Jones, 18th Brigade RA in India - help!

Postby peter kent » Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 am

Surviving service records are online via Findmypast. If he died in service, you're unlikely to find much.

The British Museum will definitely not be able to help.

Please read the research guide
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... to1913.htm

Search the records in Findmypast, picking out likely candidates. If you can't find anything and you're prepared to do some proper research, try the pay and muster rolls

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... 0-1898.htm
peter kent

Postby AntonyM » Fri May 15, 2015 12:46 pm

The British Library , not the museum , has extensive records relating to India.
AntonyM

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Army records of the British Army are to be found at the National Archives. See Peter's comments above for how to access that stuff.

The British Library collection ( much of which is online on FindMyPast ) covers only religious and civilian (?) records.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 pm

So Henry Jones was the father of an unnamed (to us) child. Suggest that you use Familysearch to run a parent search for children born to Henry and his wife, name ? between, say 1860 - 1885. Then go back to Findmypast and verify Henry's rank and occupation for each of these children. You may also find that some or all of the births were registered through the Regimental Indexes, in which case certificates can be ordered from the GRO. Having found the first born child, you can then look for a marriage record.

PS: If you had posted the name of Henry's wife and son/dau born in 1873, then we would have done these searches for you!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Military help