Moderator Control Panel ]

Private Charles John Lang

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Private Charles John Lang

Postby Amber » Sat May 09, 2015 11:19 am

Hope someone can help. Charles Lang born in Tunbridge Wells, Kent served in WW1 in the Royal Fusiliers L/15074, Ox & Bucks Light Infantry OX 21889 and Northumberland Fusiliers 77039 from 1914 - 1920. The only thing I have is the Medal Card Index. It seems his attestation papers etc are part of the 'burnt records'. He survived the war and would like to know where he served. I have been advised to read War Diaries but haven't clue where to start. Can anyone help to give me some pointers as to where I should look?
Amber

Re: Private Charles John Lang

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Find him in Ancestry's Medal Rolls - not the Index Cards, the actual Rolls to which the Cards were originally the index. You, of course don't need to use the manual index, you use the Ancestry index. Logically he will be in the Medal Roll of his last regiment. With luck the Roll will give you the battalion numbers within the regiments, without which you cannot identify which War Diary you need.

Also read the articles on research on the Long, Long Trail website. ( which I have said so many times that my predictive text knows that Long is followed by Long! )

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Amber, I don't know where about you live, but I live in Tunbridge Wells and can will happily take a few photos of streets, churches etc if there is anything specific you want.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby brunes08 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:07 pm

I have been able to read the war diaries of my grandfather's regiment at the National Archives. You can look at their site to see if the ones you want still exist.
brunes08

Return to Military help