Moderator Control Panel ]

Taking photos from TV

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Taking photos from TV

Postby Victor Nutt » Wed May 06, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question and if not I'm sorry.

One of my relatives can be seen on the opening credits of an old, very popular comedy TV series. The programme is a BBC production and my relative can be seen in the background in a newsreel from even further back in time. If I take a picture of this, am I breaking any copyright laws (or other) if I paste the photo on Ancestry or elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice you may give.

Victor
Victor Nutt

Re: Taking photos from TV

Postby Mick Loney » Thu May 07, 2015 5:57 am

Victor,

I assume you would be ok, as long as you credited them with a copyright notice, and you didn't try to sell them, but you could always ask their permission first.

However, the quality of the resulting photo won't be very good. Have you considered contacting the BBC? They may be able to supply you with prints from the actual newsreel. It's worth a try.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:26 am

Can't agree with Mike's suggestion that putting an acknowledgement on it makes it OK. If it's a breach, then it's a breach even if you credit them. I'm fairly certain I've seen that stated by sites such as the Legal Genealogist. However, there is always a chance that as it is just a fraction of the original work, then it might count as fair use. I just dunno!

I would agree with him that the quality is likely to be poor - on the odd occasion I've tried to photograph a TV picture, it's been a total failure. I'm not even sure I got a complete image. Still- you can only try - image construction on today's screens might lead to wholly different results from the old CRT days.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Mick Loney » Thu May 07, 2015 6:39 am

Adrian's quite right about old TV picture quality, especially with their slow refresh rate. However, modern TV have a different problem, in that their pixel density is relatively low compared with modern cameras, thus placing a restriction on the quality you get. Just try looking closely at a TV screen, and all you'll see is individual dots (just like a newspaper print). That is what you'd get if you tried to enlarge the photo too much.

Much better to get a print off the original film, before it has been through the TV transmitter/receiver cycle.

Mike

Mick Loney

Postby Victor Nutt » Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks for the advice. I've taken the pictures anyway and on my computer screen they don't look too bad, but I'm not going to print them as yet, if ever.

The main problem I have at the moment however is this. Has anyone tried to find a phone number or e-mail address for the BBC to ask a question like mine? I can't find one anywhere, can someone help please?

Thanks,

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby Mick Loney » Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 am

Victor,

I found this website, which seems to address your problem regards contacting the BBC. It lists a few ways to contact them, including their main switchboard number.

http://www.corporatecontact.info/bbc-uk-1

Mike

Mick Loney

Taking photos from TV

Postby pete25 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 am

Hi there,

Please contact the BBC and ask for their permission first.

I wrote to a well know family history magazine asking if I could reproduce a piece of their work into my family history and they came back with:

'Please feel free to reproduce the article in question just as long as you're not going to republish, and therefore, make monitory gains from your work'.

Please always ask...don't just give credits. I've made my tree on ancestry private because people copy my documents without asking first.

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Guy » Sat May 16, 2015 11:27 am

Victor Nutt wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question and if not I'm sorry.

One of my relatives can be seen on the opening credits of an old, very popular comedy TV series. The programme is a BBC production and my relative can be seen in the background in a newsreel from even further back in time. If I take a picture of this, am I breaking any copyright laws (or other) if I paste the photo on Ancestry or elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice you may give.

Victor

No you are not breaking any copyright laws as you are only taking one frame from a film. It would be different if you were copying the whole opening sequence.

Having said that it is polite to ask permission to use the still image.
I would write to the relevant copyright holder asking permission and including a printout of the image you wish to use.

To get the clearest image use BBC iplayer to open the program on your computer, at the required image press pause, (you may have to do this a few times to get the best image) then press the screen print key and copy the screen.

Open photo editing software and paste the screen grab into a new blank image, remove any unwanted parts of the screen image.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Taking photos from TV

Postby philippereynolds » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 pm

philippereynolds

Return to Genealogy chat