Moderator Control Panel ]

WWI Inspector of Sea Mines-Admiralty

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WWI Inspector of Sea Mines-Admiralty

Postby T L Compton » Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 pm

My great grandfather Stephen Nuttall of Sale, Cheshire died 16 February 1918 in the Manchester Royal Infirmary of a Strangulated Inguinal Hernia. On his death certificate his occupation is listed as Inspector of Sea Mines (Admiralty). Would this have been a military assignment or a civilian one?
I would like to find out more about his service during the war.

Ancestry shows a medal card for a Stephen Nuttall, Ches. R. Lab Corps R. E., Pvt. However, the Nuttall name is so common and I think this would have been an army unit.

His previous occupations were listed as engineer/millwright (1901 census, Rugby, Warwickshire) and tool fitter (1911 census, Barton upon Irwell, Lancs).

Any insight greatly appreciated.
T L Compton

Re: WWI Inspector of Sea Mines-Admiralty

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:41 pm

The Medal card you describe will be for someone in the Cheshire Regiment, then the Labour Corps, then the Royal Engineers. So it's Army. It would not be impossible for someone to be transferred from the RE to this Inspectorate job - I have no idea what the Medal Index Card would look like in such a case. Would it mention the target? Dunno.
In the end I have nothing to go on other than your chap was an Inspector whereas the MIC chap started out as a private. Doesn't seem hugely likely. But that's just a gut reaction from ignorance.

It seems to me that your Inspector would have occupied a civilian post in the Admiralty. Whether any records survive for such civil servants, I've no idea. The concentration has always been on military staff.

Have you Googled the Inspector role? Strange what can come up. I'm trying not to assume even what mines he inspected. Floating mines designed to sink ships? Probably. Or mines for digging out minerals that went under the sea? Unlikely as I can't see why the Admiralty would be interested in those.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help