Moderator Control Panel ]

Eliza BISHOP

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Eliza BISHOP

Postby SDV » Fri May 01, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm trying to find the death of Eliza Bishop, neé Archer. Eliza was born c1871 in Hornchurch, Essex to George and Mary Ann Archer. She married William Bishop in 1892 in Islington, London.

The family were living in Grove Street, Holloway in 1911. According to electoral registers, the couple were living at 91 Eden Grove, Holloway in 1923. William died in 1924, but Eliza was still living at Eden Grove in 1934.

I cannot find a suitable death registration for her. So far I have ordered two certificates, which proved to be wrong: Q4 1934 Fulham and Q1 1959 Southend.

All help welcome.
SDV

Re: Eliza BISHOP

Postby Sylcec » Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Might she have remarried?
Marriages Mar 1940
Bishop, Eliza to Kane, John Hackney 1b 1233

or she may have lived to become a very old lady.
Did she and her husband have children? If so she may have gone to live with one of them in another part of the country, which is why you're not identifying her death.
Sylcec

Postby SDV » Fri May 01, 2015 1:57 pm

She may have re-married, but by 1940 she would have been 68-9 years of age. Not impossible, but a little old to be re-marrying.

As for children, the couple had 6 that I know about: Charles William (b 1893), Gladys Ella (b1895), Herbert Reginald (b1897), Stanley (b1899), Leonard (b1903) and Doris Ena (b1908). I have no definite information about what happened to these children, except I know from the probate record of her father that Gladys married a John Hacker in 1917.

The Hackers lived in Southend, which is why I was tempted - wrongly as it turned out - to order Q1 1959 Southend death certificate!
SDV

Eliza BISHOP

Postby brunes08 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:25 pm

I wouldn't discount another marriage. It could be that she lived with someone who was not free to marry her until much later. I have come across one such relationship that was not made legal for more more than 20 years because the spouse was still alive. In this instance the spouse was Roman Catholic and not able to divorce.
My own grandparents had a legal separation in 1910 which meant that neither was free to re-marry. A legal separation could be granted if the marriage had broken down but there were no causes for a legal divorce at the time, eg adultery etc. They could not re-marry while one was still alive.
I also have a gt gt grandmother and a gt grandmother who both used another man's surname who was not their husbands. They had both been separated from their legal partners and gone on to another relationship.
brunes08

Postby KayFarndon » Sat May 02, 2015 10:35 am

I found a marriage for an Eliza Bishop in the June Quarter of 1936 at Lambeth, to Clarence Summers.

I then found a death for an Eliza Summers in the September Quarter of 1940 at Greenwich with her age being 69, which is spot on for her birth year of 1871.

You could apply either for the marriage or death certificate, stating her maiden name and previous married name and asking to be contacted before a certificate is issued, then you will have no fear of getting an incorrect one.

I also looked at the deaths for an Eliza Kane, but nothing came up. I hope this is of some help.
KayFarndon

Postby SDV » Tue May 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will investigate and report back.
SDV

Postby SDV » Fri May 15, 2015 11:11 am

I now have a marriage certificate for Clarence Summers (widower) and Eliza Bishop (widow) in Lambeth in 1936. It would appear that this is not my Eliza Bishop, as she names her father as William Henry Morris (deceased), rather than George Archer.

It was worth a try, but I'm now back to where I was with this line of inquiry.

Any ideas?
SDV

Postby KayFarndon » Fri May 15, 2015 3:23 pm

I feel that I have to reply to your latest message, as I am sorry that you got an incorrect certificate. In my original post I did say that if you gave her maiden name it might be of help and an efficient registrar should have noted that her father's name was not what it should be and should have contacted you before issuing the certificate.

Do you think that she might have had a step-father and named him instead? One of my great grandfathers gave an incorrect name for his father when he married for a second time, as well as wrong information regarding other details I might add.

I do hope you get a result eventually.
KayFarndon

Postby SDV » Fri May 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Not a problem - I decided not to wait for the certificate. In my experience, it is about 5 weeks compared to 1 week, if you don't supply a reference. It was worth a shot.

And no there is no step-father, that I am certain about.

So I'm back to square one with this.
SDV

Postby ianbee » Fri May 15, 2015 5:35 pm

It's not much, but you might be able to move her on a couple of years on the electorals
The part of Eden Grove she was living seems to have been demolished, there is some stuff on that in the Islington Medical Officer's Report of 1929. See http://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/
The scheme may have been delayed, but number 91 is one of those no longer listed in the electoral registers after 1934
So Eliza had to move, or be resettled, whatever
1935, an Eliza Bishop appears at 34 St James Road, Islington N7. In Lower Holloway ward. She was not listed there in 1934. She is still there in the 1936 register, but not in 1937.
By the following year St James Road had been renamed as Mackenzie Road. You can see it on maps today, and it is just round the corner from Eden Grove.
So that might be a possibility.

If she is still about later, then you might be able to pick her up again when they release the 1939 National Register later this year, that could be your best bet. It should have dates of birth, which you may not know in her case, but she could be the Eliza Archer registered Dec 1871 in Romford district. At any rate, it could give you an idea of the possibilities.
If she died during WW2, then she might possibly have died outside of the London area if, say, some hospital or institution evacuated its patients elsewhere. Or, as Syclec suggested, she may have gone to live with one of her children.
Ian
ianbee

Next

Return to General research queries