Moderator Control Panel ]

Two uniforms - help!

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Two uniforms - help!

Postby sbaileycooper » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Can anyone identify the uniforms in this picture? I believe the picture was taken in the later stages of WW2 or even just at the end of it. While both appear to be in the Royal Artillery and both carrying 'wings' (so AAC?) they seem to have slightly different uniforms and I don't know what the blazer badge the man on the left is wearing is: but I think he has the Africa Star. I think the man on the right has a DFC. But could be wrong on all counts!
Would be very grateful for any help.
Attachments
IGB3070.jpg
IGB3070.jpg (500.37 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
sbaileycooper

Re: Two uniforms - help!

Postby jeffward » Mon May 04, 2015 10:18 am

These two young captains in the Royal Artillery were almost certainly Forward Observation Officers who flew spotter planes to locate targets and then direct fire onto the target. It was a dangerous job as they flew light weight planes at low altitude and relatively slow speed above the battlefield. They made quite a good target themselves. Captain was the usual rank for a F.O.O. in the artillery.
I would suggest the man on the left is wearing the ribbon of the Military Cross not the Africa Star. They are smartly dressed so to is possible the were attending a formal investiture. The badge on the right breast of the man on the left looks very much like the spread-eagle badge of the Polish military. So if this was an investiture it is likely to be a gallantry medal awarded by the Polish authorities, any thing of a more casual nature would not have been permitted. He may well have "spotted" for Polish artillery units. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Re: Two uniforms - help!

Postby jeffward » Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am

Further to my earlier note. The man on the left may have belonged to 663 Air Observation Squadron which drew most of it members from Polish units. Something like 90 DFCs were awarded to members of air observation units. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Return to Photo identification