Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann Lindsey - a sudden & unexpected titanium wall!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Ann Lindsey - a sudden & unexpected titanium wall!

Postby MoVidger » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Comparing Susannah Lindsey's 1844 marriage record to the 1841 census record which Sally found, it is a match. The marriage address of New Park Street, St Saviour, Southwark matches the address which a Susan Lindsey (age 21) and Mary (age 1) are living at in 1841.

I had a look at the actual 1841 census image, and they are living at New Park Street (not Gt Guildford Street). There's also a May/Mary Lindsey (age 23) with them. Could she be Susannah's sister?

Occupations for both ladies is "hose knitter" or "hose dresser" ??

On her 1844 marriage record, Susannah's occupation is "??? Maker" -- which might correspond to whatever her occupation is on the 1841 census above.

NOTE: The census indicates all three Lindsey females are "born in county" (Surrey).
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:50 pm

Speaking of May or Mary Lindsey (born about 1818), there was a Mary Ann Lindsey who married Robert Kershaw in September 1841 in Bermondsey, Southwark. She was the daughter of William Lindsey, carrier. According to the 1851 and 1861 censuses, she was born in Dorking, Surrey.
MayHam

Postby Artognou » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Many, many, many thanks for your replies, there's information in there that I didn't know about whatsoever, especially in regards to the registration of births/baptisms, which is comforting to know that I'm not doing anything wrong - or going mad!

I did have a look at the Mary Ann who married Robert Kershaw, but it seems that her father, William, was a bricklayer, or maker, so I don't think he's the man I'm looking for.
I have seen a couple of potential marriages from the Surrey area I could consider;

William Lindsey and Jane May in 1817 in Lambeth, and William Lindsey and Mary Tinker in 1812 in Southwark, however, it will have to be incredibly thorough!

Thanks for the extra information in regards to the address from 1841 - 44, MoVidger, that's so good of you to find me some concrete evidence like that and I did look at Susannah's marriage record to William Arnould and her occupation is 'net maker', so it pretty much ties in with what she was doing in the 1841 census record.

I think my next port of call is to see if any wills are available for anyone by the name of William Lindsey, I meticulously trawled through the census records several years ago!
Artognou

Previous

Return to General research queries