Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann Lindsey - a sudden & unexpected titanium wall!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Ann Lindsey - a sudden & unexpected titanium wall!

Postby Artognou » Sat May 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks Sally, it really seems like it!
I can't even find a birth for a Susannah to a William anywhere, it's always on the London side where I encounter real problems!

The other weird thing is how Mary Ann had William Lindsey as her father, even though William Arnauld must have been her step-father - I've got a few brick walls, but this one is ridiculously difficult to get my head round!

I have gone through the realy census records, but nothing appears to match up at all.
I did also try LondonLives, but sadly nothing came up.
Artognou

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 03, 2015 9:18 am

Have you seen this baptism?
Mary Anne Lindsey 29 Jan 1841 Chelsea mother Sarah Lindsay. Six/seven miles from Bethnal Green. Sarah rather than Susannah but Sarah I think can be a shortened form of Susannah. Given the information found re William Arnauld and Susannah I would certainly look at this and add it as a possibility.

In 1841 there is a Susan Lindsey(20)and Mary(1) at great Guildford Street Southwark
Piece number 1088
Book number 7
Folio number 9
Page number 11
Record set 1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Another possibility to look at and much closer to the baptism above.

Both tenuous but given this is not straightforward search worth a look I think

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

Delving deeper I do not think the baptism is your Mary Ann. She is illegitimate, the daughter of Sarah. The baptism on Ancestry records their address as Lawrence St. The 1841 census places them there with John and Anne Lindsey, Sarah's parents (?). Mary Ann's surname is recorded as Hutchins. In 1851 census they are still in the same place and Sarah is also calling herself Hutchins. No sign of Father.

I will look further at the census record I found in Southwark

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 pm

If the 1841 census record is correct this is the only birth record I can find to possibly match is Mary Ann Linsey 1839 Q1 St George Southwark 4, 133. I would not purchase it without confirming the Mother but GRO should check this for you before you confirm purchase.

If she is the daughter of the Susannah who marries William Arnould then the census would tie in because it is in the same area as the marriage takes place.

I cannot find a birth for Susannah/Susan with a Father William, or a birth for a Mary either assuming that Susan and Mary in the census records are sisters. A census record would have helped!!

I cannot find a census record for a possible Father for Susannah.

I am going to leave it there because I have been staring at a screen too long!

Good Luck Sally
meekhcs

Postby Artognou » Mon May 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Thanks ever so much Sally.

I was looking at the very same 1841 census myself, I can also understand the need to rest your eyes as well, this has really stumped me!

I think the only other option I have right now is to go through any wills, etc, after that, I think I'll give this one a rest for a while!
Artognou

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 04, 2015 4:42 pm

A final thought. Have you checked the local workhouse records in Southwark which I think are probably held at the LMA? If Mary Ann was illegitimate it is possible her Mother gave birth in the workhouse. This doesn't mean her Mother would have lived in the workhouse but simply that the workhouse was often considered a safe place to give birth.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Artognou » Fri May 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Thank you again Sally,

I did a brief search, but nothing came up, I'll have to do a more in-depth search and see if anything crops up, but I think this might be something that haunts me for years to come!
Artognou

Postby Artognou » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:45 am

I thought I should give a little update on this one, because I've been without a computer for a while and unable to logon, but over the last year or so I have ordered quite a few certificates for what I believed to be potential birth records for Mary Ann, but each and every time they have proven to be other people.

I have been speaking to an Australian relative about this and he did wonder whether or not she could have been born with a different surname/name, or whether Mary Ann's mother might have been her sister.

I have been strongly considering taking this to a professional, because it's definitely beyond me!

Is there any extra advice anyone could give me about this, please?
Or does it seem a bit too mysterious?
Artognou

Postby avaline » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Have you considered that you may be searching for something that doesn’t exist? Before 1874 it was the responsibility of the Registrar to register all births, not the parents, and there was no penalty for non-registration. Estimates vary, but it is believed that a significant % of births simply were not registered.

Mary Ann may well have been baptised, but the registers may not be online or may not have survived.
avaline

Postby MoVidger » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Following on from Sally's 2015 post, which references a potential 1839 birth for Mary Ann, here is the online GRO index for this birth:

LINSEY, MARY ANN Mother's Maiden Surname: CAVE
GRO Reference: 1839 M Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Volume 04 Page 133

But judging from your most recent post, you may have already ordered this certificate.
MoVidger

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries