Moderator Control Panel ]

A 1st WW Medal has been found!!!

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

A 1st WW Medal has been found!!!

Postby pete25 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:55 pm

Granada Reports:

An online campaign has been launched to help reunite a World War One Victory Medal with the soldier’s family after it was found in a Manchester sewer.

Brothers Jason and Shaun Dullaghan were carrying out routine cleaning work on Byfield Road in Wythenshawe, when they discovered the WWI medal at the bottom of a manhole.

The search is now on to reunite the medal, inscribed with 32266 PTE W Harrison, with the family it belongs to.

The picture of the medal and appeal for information about Pte Harrison has been tweeted and shared with the hashtag #ReuniteMe.

Jason, who works for Amey on behalf of water company United Utilities, said: “We were really lucky to spot the medal when we did; another minute or so and we’d have cleared the drain and it would have been lost forever.

“At first we thought it was a coin of some sort, it wasn’t until we looked closer that we realised what it was. We know that getting the medal back to the soldier’s family 100 years after the war is a long shot but it would be nice to hand it over to the rightful owners.”
“We find all kinds of odd things in the sewers, from false teeth to stolen goods, but this is the first time we have found anything with such emotional value as this medal.

"It’s sad to think how it was lost but we’re glad to have found it now.”

– TONY GRIFFITHS, WASTEWATER NETWORK MANAGER AT UNITED UTILITIES

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: A 1st WW Medal has been found!!!

Postby g w aldous » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:03 am

If it's the long lost Harrison lesser medal you could be a millionaire Delboy.. :lol: :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.
g w aldous

Postby pete25 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:19 pm

[FISTED HAND SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Discat11 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 am

Good luck to them in finding the family, hopefully his will be one of the 30% of surviving service records or they'll certainly have an uphill struggle in finding much more than his medal index card (which is unlikely to have an address).
6.3 million of these medals were issued, so it's not going to be an easy task.

(Curiosity caused this) update:

My initial searches have located a Medal roll listing -but no service record :-(
The TNA will have the medal card (although £3 odd to see it?)- other online sources no longer seem to show the medal cards -I'm not sure why this is although it could be the license has expired to that site or that the index was unreliable for these, but it's a shame as there's a slight possibility it might give some clue.

Obviously the fact he was Manchester regiment won't necessarily help as not all were local men or local regiments for that matter, although it was found in the area which seems to imply he might be a local?

I would guess the next step would be to contact someone like the Western Front association and pay for a pension record lookup?

Can anyone else think of a way?
The name seems too common a surname to do census lookups
Discat11

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 am

Medal Index Cards are still on Ancestry (or were a couple of days ago). FMP have an index only that points to the TNA data ( I think). Ancestry now have the Medal Rolls themselves, though apparent discrepancies can arise between the Index Cards and the Rolls due to the Army's habit of using different variations of people's names.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Discat11 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks for that Adrian, it did confuse me I couldn't see the MICs on Ancestry though -I guess they must be listed differently.
Discat11

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Ancestry's MICs are collection "British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920".

To find them as one collection on their own, I used the Search / Card Catalogue menu option. I then entered "medal index cards" in the Title item and there it is.... It also appears when I enter the same text in the keyword(s) item.

I have to say though, that the Card Catalogue menu option is sometimes a touch odd - the difference between Title and Keyword(s) isn't always clear. I think the exact words entered in Title must be part of the collection's title. Which isn't much use if you don't know the exact title. But sometimes the keyword indexes aren't what you expect either. And in neither case does the search find the collection if you use "Card" instead of "Cards".
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Military help