Moderator Control Panel ]

Elizabeth BURTON

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Elizabeth BURTON

Postby ianbee » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 pm

An alternative death for 1955 is
March 1955 Surrey Mid. E. 5g 232
Powell, John
age 70

Nice round age. Probate for a couple of others with the same 5g 232 reference
Charles Hubert Hilton of 34 Lowden Road, Herne Hill, died 7 Feb 1955 at St Ebbas Hospital, Epsom, Surrey.
Jane Searle (wife of Samuel John) of 19 Venour Road, London E3, died 6 Feb 1955 at The Grove, Horton Lane, Epsom

So, yes, Surrey Mid Eastern was the district for the cluster of mental hospitals at Epsom. You would think that in the NHS era especially their new patients would be more from south London, but Jane Searle was previously in Bow.
Incidentally, Jane was buried in the Horton Estate Cemetery (don't think JP was?)

This is obviously very much a long shot and, if it was me, I wouldn't be sending for the death certificate. You may have it already! It's all I can see.
Ian

EDIT
Jane Searle was on the 1955 electoral register at 19 Venour Road, along with Samuel J. Searle.
And Charles H Hilton was listed at 34 Lowden Road in the same year.
The electoral registers aren't perfect, but it looks as though those two hadn't been in hospital for that long before they died.
Interesting.
ianbee

Postby elsabels » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 pm

SDV wrote:Hi

I would still welcome some help on locating John Powell's death.

Have you looked at the marriage certificate of Ada (H)Ellen Burton dated 25 Dec 1922 to Henry Freeland, one of the witnesses is John POWELL so was known to the family early on!

The first child of PEG shown on 1911 census is registered as

Dec 1902

Postby SDV » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Somehow I knew that he was connected to the family before his marriage to Elizabeth, though for the moment I can't recall how I knew this information. No doubt it will come to me.

I am tempted to apply for the certificate found by ianbee, but realise that it is highly risky. If - as suggested - he was in one of the medical facilities in the Surrey ME area, is there any way of tracing his admission record?
SDV

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi
I wouldn't think that we would be able to see any admission registers that recent, just looking at one of those Epsom hospitals, Horton, they are "Not available for general access" in the LMA catalogue.
A burial record might help of course.
A plain John Powell doesn't seem to come up at that time in Epsom/Ewell on the electoral registers on ancestry, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.
You could perhaps leave it hanging there for a while, see if anything else turns up for him, but really it's your decision.
Ian
ianbee

Postby SDV » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 pm

I decided to take a risk and send for the PDF. Somehow the lower cost compared to a certificate made it an attractive proposition!

Anyway, the John POWELL in the PDF died 08 Feb 1955 at the Grove, Horton Lane, Epsom, which I believe was one of the mental hospitals in the Epsom area. He was aged 70 and a retired builder's labourer, who died of cardiovascular degeneration and senility. Both the age and occupation are consistent with what we know of our John Powell.

Most convincingly the informant was K CROWHURST, described as his daughter of 4 Ashwin Street, E8. I have no idea who K Crowhurst is and was unaware that he had any daughters. However, 4 Ashwin Street, Hackney is the address where Elizabeth Daniels died. So this is the correct John Powell.

The only remaining question is the identity of K Crowhurst. As I have already said, I am not aware of John Powell having any children. As for Elizabeth, I only know of Jessie (b1897), Elizabeth (b 1901), Ada (b 1903), Eleanor (b 1907), George (b 1910) and Lilian (b 1912). So not at all sure of the identity of K Crowhurst.

But it is good to finally have a completion on the death of John Powell.

PS I now see that according to the 1946 electoral register there was Arthur CROWHURST and Kathleen CROWHURST living at 4 Ashwin Street, as well as Elizabeth and John Powell and George and Lilian COSGROVE. My earlier research discovered that John Powell's mother was called Kathleen, so could this be his mother under a re-married surname?
SDV

Postby JMcK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 am

Marriages Jun 1939
Crowhurst Arthur A Burton Hackney 1b 999

(Burton = Kathleen Q)

Births Mar 1920
Burton Kathleen Q Daniels Shoreditch 1c 143

Crowhurst Kathleen Q 1920 1968 1968 England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007 Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, England
JMcK

Postby JMcK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:39 am

In view of that later birth (1920)
there are also these

Births Dec 1924
Burton Sylvia E Daniels Edmonton 3a 945

Births Jun 1927
Burton Jessie Daniels Edmonton 3a 786

Births Dec 1927
Burton Audrey L Daniels Edmonton 3a 874

obviously, there must be at least 2 families here. Jessie and Audrey registered same year but not twins.
JMcK

Postby SDV » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am

Many thanks, its good to be able to place the Crowhursts in the family tree. It would appear that Kathleen was the daughter of Elizabeth Daniels and her first husband, who died in July 1935. Although it has been suggested that Elizbeth and George had separated before his death, as she married John Powell in August 1935, shortly after George's death.

As for Syvia, Jessie and Audrey Burton I have no idea. Jessie is an old family name amongst the Burtons. Elizabeth and George already had a daughter named Jessie, born 1897. In fact, the Jessie born in 1897 was born before their marriage and on her birth certificate she is named DANIELS. I don't actually have that certificate, though I assume that George was the father due to the name, as both George and his father have Jesse as their middle name.
SDV

Previous

Return to General research queries