Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military Photo

Postby Jackohara11 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Is anyone able to determine the rank of this officer an the the conflict? We have no idea, Thanks, Jack.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.97 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Jackohara11

Re: Military Photo

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 pm

First World War - and I think near the start or even just before. I base that on what looks like the Imperial Service Obligation badge on his left breast. This was issued to members of the Territorial Force who'd agreed to serve overseas if war broke out. As the war went on, so it became impossible to join the Territorials without agreeing to overseas service, so my impression is that the ISO badge became irrelevant. I could be wrong though. ...

He's just an ordinary soldier, not an officer - I can't see any sergeant's or corporal's stripes even.

He's a mounted soldier - see the riding boots. That doesn't mean he has to be a cavalry man as mounted soldiers were found in the artillery, Army Service Corps, etc - even in the infantry for goodness sake! I can't be certain of the cap badge but it looks like one of the star burst badges used by several regiments. But it definitely isn't the Artillery.

He wears a dust cap over the top of his cap to keep it clean.

Finally - he's no spring chicken, is he? Maybe, despite what I said about the ISO badge, he's one of the older sort, looking after the HQ in the UK.

Grateful for anyone who can point out the error in my ways.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification