Moderator Control Panel ]

Francis Edward Parfett Royal Berkshire Regt

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: Francis Edward Parfett Royal Berkshire Regt

Postby meekhcs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:38 am

Thank you timbo that is correct.
I spent a very enjoyable day on the internet yesterday combing through various sites and have been able to flesh out his story a little with a historical timeline of events in Belgium at the time of his death, including the fact that the Germans released deadly mustard gas for the 1st time in the war on the night of the 12th/13th July 3 days before Francis died..

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sat May 02, 2015 2:28 pm

To tidy up this post I contacted the Royal Pioneer Corps Association and their Historian Lt Col Starling, author of "No Labour No War" with Ivor Lee, was able to provide more info.
The Labour Corp was formed April 1st 1917. It comprised of men of medically lower grade or who were older than infantrymen at the front. Usually men over 35 went straight to the Labour Corps. Members had to be fit to undertake manual work but usually could not march with full kit over 5 miles, or had poor eyesight.Other members would be infantrymen recovering from wounds. Members of the Labour Corps were re examined every month to see if they were fit for the front. As the War progressed medical standards were constantly reduced as more replacemnets for the front were needed.
My Gt Grandfather, who worked on the land, was probably conscripted after Jan 1st 1916 at the age of 34.
At the time of his death the 162nd Labour Company of the Labour Corps was working in the Douave Valley and was employed in building and maintaining the railway through the Valley. The men were continually subjected to shelling.
There are no War Diaries for the Labour Corps but they do receive mentions in other Battalion Diaries.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ss002d6252 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm

The amount shown in red on his soldiers effects record next to the red stamp is his war gratuity for service - it indicates his service began in April 1916 (assuming he had no time during this in military prison/as a deserter or released to munitions work).

Craig
ss002d6252

Postby meekhcs » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks Craig, I had not updated this post since our correspondence etc.
Sally
meekhcs

Previous

Return to Military help