Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA? Live 2015 team

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: WDYTYA? Live 2015 team

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes but as we said - term time is not consistent across the UK. What's perhaps more to useful to ask is why the show doesn't open Sunday?

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JaneyH » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Just to say that school holidays vary increasingly across the country these days. Private schools, free schools, INSET days ... Best option (to me) would be to vary the time and location every year. You can never please all the people all the time!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby julieb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 am

I think that it would be good if the dates changed each year as if it is in holiday time I can not go as I run a family business with my brother and when his daughter is off school he try's to go away on holiday which means I'm left running the business. I would love to go to the show.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
julieb

Postby ksouthall » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:36 pm

Varying the dates would work. Maybe it could be later in the year some times.

I think Adrian has a good point. If the show reverted back to Friday, Saturday and Sunday, that might suit more people.

Varying the location would also be good. Perhaps it could be in Exeter next year so that the South West is better catered for, and maybe the North East the year after.

Perhaps Sarah or Jon could forward all the posts from this thread on to the organisers.....
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:40 pm

p.s. Perhaps it's cheaper to hire the NEC on a Thursday rather than a Sunday so maybe the organisers are waiting to see what the turn out is before making plans for next year.
ksouthall

Postby researchgranny » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:01 am

The show days were changed in London last year, originally advertised as Fri Sat & Sun then changed to Thur Fri Sat , and last Aug in Glasgow, the Sunday was cancelled at quite short notice. I will be in Birmingham so will be comparing the 3 venues.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby timbo58 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I believe that the show was moved backwards from f/s/s to th/f/s as Sunday's were pretty much a dead loss, especially later in the afternoon.

Birmingham was certainly a better venue than Olympia ( no surprise there as it's designed from the ground up as an expo centre not as a Victorian fruit market) and as an exhibitor with a large crew myself the hotel choice is better/easier also, although parking is a bit expensive and way too far from the halls for comfort.

It's pretty much the same distance for us but I think most of our regular exhibitor friends thought it was better than Olympia in any case.

The show is in brum again next year and has been moved back a week 9-11 April ( afaiaa).

timbo58

Postby researchgranny » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:16 pm

There was much more space between the various stalls and stands and this gave me the impression it gave more room for those using mobility scooters to get around the venue. However the colours used in the conference programme and on line are certainly not helpful for people with visual impairment, and although it seems that sponsors colour schemes were being used, little thought was given to its "readability". Pale green on white is not a good combination. The hard copy was in a ridiculously small font too.

I used public transport to get to the venue and it was easy to walk from Birmingham International to the venue. Visitors need to buy train tickets 12 weeks in advance to get the cheapest deals, so you need to be organised. My biggest moan was actually about the loos. As you might guess from my "name" I am female. The queue was ridiculous in length and I realised it was easier to leave the hall and use the ladies in the main corridor. Obviously I can't report about the gents!

I was working on one of the exhibition stands for 3 days. One of my colleagues is vegan and it was challenging to find suitable food. This is something the NEC needs to address to ensure that the various dietary needs are adequately catered for. Fortunately there were additional catering options outside the exhibition hall itself and we were able to ensure she didnt starve!

Living in West Yorkshire, I found the NEC to be a perfectly acceptable venue for the event. I just miss not being able to include trips to the London archives, libraries etc as part of my visit to WDYTYA

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Postby ksouthall » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Tickets for next year's event seem to be advertised for the following dates, unless it has been changed:

Thursday 28th April
Friday 29th April
Saturday 30th April 2016
ksouthall

Postby timbo58 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks for that- clearly miscommunication to me then!

timbo58

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats