Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone help me please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Can anyone help me please

Postby pete25 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi Jill,

Great news! I have found a birth for Samuel Boon Jnr. Samuel Boon was born on the 25th October, 1869, Louth, Ireland. I have found it on the family search website.
Kind regards,

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby 2012girl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Peter,

Great! That doesn't help with the death you were searching for of course, but still filling in a few gaps. I assume you also have the baptism for the posthumous son Samuel Boon, 16 May 1875, St. Andrews Manchester? He is still with his mother in 1881.

Although it's still cheaper than English certificates I think you ordered the other certificates via further links on the site I posted a link to originally, that was really only meant for the info regarding the registration process in Ireland back then.

It is more costly to order certificates through third party genealogy sites such as that. If you require any other certificates for which you have certain dates, such as Samuel Jnr's birth, then it will be much cheaper to order directly from the GRO in Ireland as instructed in my second post. It is only €4 per certificate for a photocopy and they will still email a copy of the record if you wish, the only difference is that you have to print off and post them an application form with the necessary details. Research can be costly enough and I really wouldn't like you to fork out more money than necessary for exactly the same info.

Good luck,

Jill
2012girl

Postby pete25 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi Jill,

I have Samuel Boon born 1875/6 but I do need to find a birth entry for him. I feel Ann (speculation) had Samuel after she returned home to Manchester...maybe out of wedlock?
I won't find this out until I can find a birth certificate.

Finally, Ann, my 2x great grandmother, is buried with a mystery man who I can't identify and was wondering if this man was Samuel's father? Again, speculation. I hope sometime soon I will find out.

Kind regards,

Peter.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby 2012girl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 pm

The baptism for the Samuel born in 1875 is on Ancestry, you may want to have a look if you haven't done so:

Samuel Boon, baptised 16 May 1875. St Andrews Manchester

Parents: Samuel & Ann Boon of 26 Travis Street. Occupation of father: Farrier Major

If Samuel senior died in Jan 1875 then it would seem that Ann was pregnant when he died. It doesn't state that the father was deceased on the baptism record, perhaps it will on the actual birth certificate? This looks like the birth registration:

Samuel Boon, Jun 1875, Manchester, vol 8d pg 249

The 1881 census states Samuel was born in Manchester so that looks right. Who was the mystery man? I take it Ann never remarried?

Jill
2012girl

Postby pete25 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Jill,

What I failed to tell everyone here, and that I've just remembered, I have the entry record of Samuel Boon's burial entry (my mother had it sent her in 2004) and it reads buried at Temple Michael Parish Church and the year is '1875'. And it clearly reads on his burial headstone '1873'.

Kind regards,

Peter

P.S. This is one of the reasons I feel Samuel's death not being recorded is a mystery.

pete25

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Sorry - could you clarify the dates for Samuel's death from your last post? When I was staring the stone on FindAGrave I didn't think it at all clear whether it read 1873 or 1875. There's a 3 elsewhere on the stone and it matches the last digit of the year apart from the top where I couldn't see which way the line went. Since 1873 also didn't have any death for him, I didn't raise it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 am

Samuel's death should, (SHOULD) have been recorded through the regimental records. From the foregoing discussion, it appears that no formal death registration was made, by which I mean, a registration which would end up in the Irish GRO or the England & Wales GRO. However, I have little doubt that it would have been recorded in the regimental records. This does mean consulting the muster and pay lists for the regiment, which are held at TNA, Kew. However, on checking, I'm not sure that these survive as the first series is WO 16/1217 which covers 1878-79 - just a bit too late for you.
Have you tried the Regimental Museum, as they may know if earlier ones survive and where? http://www.eastbournemuseums.co.uk/queens-royal-irish-hussars.aspx
Sylvia
Sylcec

Can anyone help me please

Postby pete25 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Samuel's Burial Certificate:

Samuel's burial took place on the 21st of January 1875 (aged 38). Parish of Temple Michael, Longford. Samuel's abode: The Barracks, Longford.

On the headstone it reads death 18th January, 1873? Age 37?

I'm now going to contact Hugh who kindly took the picture of Samuel's grave and ask him if he can take a closer look at Samuel's grave and possibly confirm if it reads '1873 or 1875'

Kind regards,

Peter.

pete25

Postby Yartin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Unfortunately you may not be able to rely on the headstone alone as it may have been re-cut at some point and that may have been done incorrectly. It is the actual burial registers that you need to rely upon.
Yartin

Postby pete25 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi Yartin,

Thank you for your input...much appreciated.

My 2x great grandfather more than likely never had his death recorded. It would of been good to have confirmed if Samuel did die due to our family story (read above for story).

Thank you and kind regards,

Peter.

pete25

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries