Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry Dna

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Ancestry Dna

Postby vito74 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 am

Has anyone in the UK other than me taken the ancestry dna test? If so what did you think of it?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: Ancestry Dna

Postby pete25 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 pm

I am going to have my DNA taken via Ancestry.co.uk very soon. My cousin in America has recently had her DNA results back via Ancestry and my cousin informs me she is delighted with her results. My cousin said she has found two sisters, which is a long story. Also, my cousin informs me she has '61' pages of info to search through. Basically, my cousin highly recommends me to have my DNA taken.
What are your thoughts now that you've had your DNA taken? It would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Peter.

pete25

Postby Sylcec » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Interested to read that you are using the Ancestry DNA which I believe only offers a limited range of testing. The company with the largest database and range of testing - autosomal (Family Finder); Y-DNA and mtDNA is FamilytreeDNA which often has special promotions.

Nevertheless, I note that you and cousins have all now tested with AncestryDNA, so yes, suspected family members do need to test with the same company.
Good luck! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby vito74 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:43 pm

A little disappointed. Expected more of it. Did not get any near matches. Time might tell if it gets any better. It was worth a try.

vito74

Postby janmlawson » Sat May 16, 2015 11:28 am

I had mine done by Ancestry and the results confirmed most of what I thought - native Brit with a little Viking - but a surprising portion of Irish. It was interesting and worth my money.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
janmlawson

Postby meekhcs » Sun May 17, 2015 7:05 pm

I think that the company you should use to test your DNA is dependent on the results you are looking for. I have not used Ancestry DNA but reading the blurb it appears to be more generalised than Family Tree Dna, which I have used.. If you are trying to prove your Family lines and find ancestors then Family Tree DNA is the way to go with the male chromosone test. A 37 marker test gives you a high degree of reliabilty that you have found a Family member, with an option to upgrade to a further test should you need to take it further. Having said that any of these tests only work if somebody else linked to the ancestor you wish to tie up with has also taken the test.
meekhcs

Postby jendo0483 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 am

vito74 wrote:Has anyone in the UK other than me taken the ancestry dna test? If so what did you think of it?

Hi, My name is Jennifer. I lived in US. I have used Ancestry DNA testing kit. It has world's largest DNA testing database. It covers dates, places, and migration paths, historical events, etc. It is good enough to find your family tree, relatives and much more.
jendo0483

Postby fhb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am

I used Ancestry and they reported 4th cousin. I built their tree and followed what i thought was my line and managed to establish that the man i thought was my grandfather (relationship outside marriage!) is actually my grandfather and i have managed to get a photo of him!!! Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
fhb

Postby Tabithabenef » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 pm

We did ours last year and were very happy with the results.

However noticed they have changed the formatting recently and its changed the results.

Anyone else noticed this?

I dont like the 4th cousin matches very much as the ones I contacted dont seem to belong to any of my lines so far. There are 4 different people we have found so far and none connect. We are all busy trying to find the link.

As we had a little bonus this year - also now trying Living DNA as they seem to offer extra tests especially for Males
Tabithabenef

Postby JaneyH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I got my Ancestry DNA results back a couple of months ago. As I work full time I don't have as much time as I would like to do family history research of any kind. So far I've made 2 matches on my tree and have contacted both tree owners. One has replied and by comparing trees and validating her research I've taken one line back from 3x great-grandparents to 6x great-grandparents. Her particular branch emigrated to the USA in the mid-19th century so I now have a distant American cousin. The other match I've not heard back from. In the first case I made the connection by looking at locations common to both our trees while in the second it we had a surname in common which led to a shared ancestor. I've also contacted a further four people where the matches are strong but there is no immediate connection ... but so far I've not heard anything from these people.

All in all it's definitely a useful additional dimension to family history research, but don't expect any quick wins. In some cases you'll need to research parts of someone else's tree and try to find a person who links into your tree. These may or may not be well documented, and can be a frustrating exercise.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Next

Return to Genealogy chat