Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry Dna

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Ancestry Dna

Postby pete25 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi,
It's not been long since I received back my 23andMe DNA results and already I've made a connection with a distant cousin in Australia. Our connection is through my paternal line and her 3x great grandmother is my 4x great grand aunt.
This lady is currently holidaying and said she will send me some pictures when she returns back to Australia in a few weeks.
DNA Genealogy is very useful if you take time to drop your matches a message. Like it's all ready been pointed out...not everyone returns your messages.

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: Ancestry Dna

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Tabithabenef wrote:However noticed they have changed the formatting recently and its changed the results.

In what way have the results changed? Is it your Ancient Ancestry or Genetic Communities that have changed? Are the changes because more people have now been tested? I did mine earlier this year so haven't seen any changes.

Tabithabenef wrote:I don't like the 4th cousin matches very much as the ones I contacted don't seem to belong to any of my lines so far. There are 4 different people we have found so far and none connect. We are all busy trying to find the link.

Without wishing to offend anyone, our family trees are generally based on paper trails which may not actually reflect our biological ancestors. In other words, do the records tell the truth or are there any hidden secrets? The further back you go, the more chance there will be of illegitimacy in one of the lines in your tree or that of the person who has matched with you. That could account for finding a match where there doesn't appear to be one on paper.
ksouthall

Postby pete25 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:51 pm

British BMDs go back to the1st of July, 1837 so I'm all connected with confidence up to this point.

pete25

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 pm

pete25 wrote:British BMDs go back to the1st of July, 1837 so I'm all connected with confidence up to this point.

Assuming no one lied when registering an event; e.g. an illegitimate person married but made up their father's name so the wrong family has been traced backwards; or a man was named as a father on a birth certificate when he was not the biological father.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherho ... ans-child/

http://theconversation.com/what-are-the ... ther-24802

https://www.theguardian.com/society/200 ... ces.uknews

As I said in my previous post, I don't want to offend anyone. However, if the results are not what someone expects, it could be due to illegitimacy somewhere along the line.
Last edited by ksouthall on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby JaneyH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 am

I very much agree with ksouthall - while we all research our trees to the best of our abilities there is always the possibility that we've got something wrong somewhere. In some cases the error is ours, but in other cases it's our ancestors who've misled us.

Having read a few stories about other people's discoveries via DNA research I'd say be prepared for the unexpected. There are heartwarming stories of people finding a long-lost sibling or birth parents (in the case of adoption) but also stories where people found that relatives weren't who they thought.

JaneyH

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am

We also need to understand that the DNA results at the moment do NOT give final answers. Estimates are just that and siblings can end up with different ethnicity estimates, for example, simply because they have inherited different bits of DNA from their parents. So unexpected results might just be a statistical fluke.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

One example would be that a married woman could name her husband as the father of her child even if he wasn't because he didn't have to be there when she registered the birth. A distant great x 4-aunt named her husband as the father of her two youngest children. It is easy to prove that he wasn't as he had already died as I have seen a copy of his death certificate.)

However, if if a couple separated between censuses, no one would know exactly when the separation occurred. A woman could then describe herself as a widow on the next census, even if her husband was still alive and living elsewhere.

Also, Adrian's right about the different mix of DNA. One of my son's has taken the Ancestry DNA test and I'm hoping the other two will get it done next time there's a discount. I might also ask my brother and sister to do it at the same time.

One of my aunt's has taken it. She came up as my mother on the Ancestry website, when compared to my DNA result. She and my mum are twins so this suggests they are identical. Their older sister has taken the DNA test and her results are quite different to my mum's twin's.
ksouthall

Postby pete25 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Mum and dad had 10 children so it's gonna be costly lol

pete25

Postby richaldis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 am

I think people are lucky to get ant response from people on Ancestry tbh. Of the handful of matches I have - and it really is a handful - all have their trees locked and the only one who has ever responded to me just confirmed we have 'a great grandmother in common' without telling me which great grandmother
richaldis

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 am

Richaldis - that is really annoying.

Many of us keep our trees private for a variety of reasons, but why would people test their DNA through sites such as Ancestry if not to find other members of their Families?

I accept some may be testing purely for personal reasons but if that is the case why not do it privately?
We have encountered similar problems in trying to contact matches, in our case because of an illegitimacy issue. Even in this day and age, as soon as you mention illegitimacy, people clam up.

Very frustrating!!
meekhcs

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat