Moderator Control Panel ]

Soldiers' Effects - Pvt Thomas Metcalf

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby maplerose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Good morning, I'm having a mental block and a hard time interpreting the information in the 'To Whom Authorised' column for my ancestor. Looks like 'Sole leg'? Nellie was Thomas's widow (my great grandmother). Many thanks.
Attachments
Thomas Metcalf Solders' Effects (2).jpg
Thomas Metcalf Solders' Effects (2).jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
maplerose

Re: Soldiers' Effects - Pvt Thomas Metcalf

Postby ksouthall » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 pm

It is probably an abbreviation of sole legatee which suggests his widow was the only beneficiary and that he probably made a will.
ksouthall

Postby maplerose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks ksouthall - I will look to see if there is a will, although he was a poor carter, living in crowded 'Yard' accommodation prior to signing up, so would be surprised to find one. Do you know where the second, larger, paid amount would have come from for 'Guardian' Annie - - --? Thomas had been married to my great grandmother for 3.5 years at the time of his death, so this payment (and person) is a mystery to me! Thank you, Melanie
maplerose

Postby Sylcec » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 am

Soldiers were encourage to make a will, and did so, although most are in an extremely simple format - but they sufficed to enable the army to know how to dispose of any personal effects and assets in the event of the soldier's death in service.

I agree with Katherine about abbreviation of sole legatee, but the word that follows is surely 'Nellie'? As for the first word or abbreviation I am not yet convinced that this is "wi" for wife. In red, is guardian followed by - [is that] Annie E Hipwell or Hepwell? Again, the ?date column is hard to read, but appears the amount in red was paid some time later, and looking at the bottom left of the page seems to be a "war annuity".

Hopefully Adrian will see this posting and also comment on it, as it seems 'up his alley'
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby maplerose » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 am

Many thanks for your comments, Sylvia :)
maplerose

Postby brunes08 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 pm

If you go to probatesearch.service.gov.uk you will be able to see that he did leave a will. There is one listed under the tab Soldier's Wills which you must click on. Type in his surname and the year of death - 1917. He comes up - this being the one with his service number 15421 which I saw on your post. There are no other details so it would cost you £10.00 to order it on line.
brunes08

Postby maplerose » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Many thanks Brunes08 - you beat me to it! This is quite the discovery (even if the will is short) as I would probably have just assumed he was too poor to leave a will. Will order henceforth! Thank you to every one for you very helpful, speedy replies.
maplerose

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes, as suggested above, soldiers were encouraged to leave a will - my utterly unscientific analysis is that many just copied the suggested wording in the soldier's pocket book and left everything to their mother. (That's close to the full text by the way - complex they are not) Such wills were only allowed to be written once the soldier was in the process of embarking for war as they were not witnessed - more or less the only time this was permitted under the law of England and Wales.

I think that the sums of money involved in these Effects cases tend to be simply back pay of one sort or another.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby maplerose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks Adrian. What a knowledgeable, helpful community you all are :).
maplerose

Postby ss002d6252 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:34 pm

The amount shown in red next to the red stamp is his war gratuity for service - it indicates his service began in February 1915 (assuming he had no time during this in military prison/as a deserter or released to munitions work).

The figure in blue/black is the balance of his pay account.

Craig
ss002d6252

Next

Return to Military help