Moderator Control Panel ]

Help needed to identify, who, what and when etc please,

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help needed to identify, who, what and when etc please,

Postby Octobergold » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm

I would really appreciate any information about the following photo, Era, uniform style, colour etc, Regiment or service. I know that my great uncle is in there somewhere he was a sapper, it was taken at Cliffords Fort, North Shields, date etc unknown

Thank you all for your time with this

Yours Kate
Attachments
Sapper H (Harry) Buckley, Cliffords Fort, North Shields (c) _resized.jpg
Sapper H (Harry) Buckley, Cliffords Fort, North Shields (c) _resized.jpg (219.51 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Octobergold

Re: Help needed to identify, who, what and when etc please,

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:04 am

"Sapper" implies the Royal Engineers and that's what the cap badges look like. The period is post WW1 - and possibly several years post. We can see it's post WW1 because of the medals being worn. Clearest are those belonging to the guy at the lefthand end of the second row. I see three medals - one star shaped and two round - 99.9% certainly the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Now it took some time to get all those out to people and we can see that only a percentage of the people seen have medals. Either they haven't got theirs yet or - gut feeling says more likely - those without are new recruits who hadn't served pre November 1918. You might think that the older guys look to be the ones with medals, supporting the view that this is a few years after 1918.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Help needed to identify, who, what and when etc please,

Postby peter kent » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:54 pm

1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal

These medals weren't authorised until 1919.

Could he have been a regular? If so his records may still be with the Ministry of Defence.
peter kent

Return to Military help