Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

Clarke family, leeds

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:50 am

My Grandfather was Benjamin Clarke, born Leeds in 1895. His father was Michael Clarke born in Offaly, Irelamd 1850. Does anyone have info on this family please??

Re: Clarke family, leeds

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:00 pm

There surprisingly few Benjamin Clarke's born in Leeds at this time. I have not been able to locate one in a family with father Michael. If he was indeed born in Leeds, and not an area within Leeds, then the best match may be this family:
Mary Donnelly, widow, 59 b. Wales
Catherine Clarke, married 27
Susannah Orange, married 25
Benjamin Clarke b1895, Leeds
Christina Clarke 3
In 1901 they are living at 4 Sugden St, Leeds. Both of Mary's daughters are cloth weavers.
In 1891 the group are at the same address with Benjamin Donnelly as husband of Mary A b. Wales, the children are listed "Step son/dau.
Wm Edward Duckworth 11
Catherine Duckworth 17
Susannah Duckworth 15
Projecting backwards to 1881 I think this is also the same family at 12 Pontefract Lane, Leeds
William Duckworth 35
Mary A 36 b. Wales
Jane A 17
Joseph 10
Catherine 7
Susannah 6
Wm Edward 2

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:10 pm

Sorry further delving brings up a family tree on Ancestry for this Benjamin, his father appears to be James Clarke husband of Catherine. So could be a red herring.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for yr reply. I have also seen that info and it's quite confusing! I've come to the conclusion that people back then aren't much different to now - different fathers, not being married or bigamously marrying!! I guess sometimes, we just have to draw a line over how much we can find out. Thank you so much for helping. Ellie

Clarke family, leeds

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

No problem, thought Id figured it out for a moment :(
Have you got your grandparents marriage certificate? Isabella Comby m Benjamin J Clarke - Sep 1918 9b 811 (FreeBMD).
Does this give witness names, they can often be helpful.
Post a reply