Moderator Control Panel ]

family tree maker

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

family tree maker

Postby fisherman2313 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:12 pm

I would like to know what the family tree maker is ? I have got three trees which I have been doing for about 2 and a bit years now. I split the trees as I felt it was easier for me to cope with as the trees were to do with my parents and I struggled with who was who in the bigger tree. Luckily the parent who was split from the other only had about a dozen people so it was easy to do then. I then began another tree to do with my husband side of the family (I am old fashioned I never call him partner!!) as it was to do with his family and the only link with his tree will be myself. Every so often hints on the ancestry site come up with the different trees that have the same person on their tree and I have noticed that the tree owner has the above attached to their trees. How do I put the trees I have on the family tree maker? How much would family tree maker cost? Any advice would be great to have then I will be able to understand what it is about. Cheers for looking at this topic and thank you. Julie
fisherman2313

family tree maker

Postby Mick Loney » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi,

FamilyTreeMaker (FTM) is a standalone computer genealogy program that runs on a PC or Mac. It was written/produced by the same people who run Ancestry. One of its main advantages is that its data/tree can be uploaded and 'linked' as a tree on Ancestry. I do this, and use my on-line tree as a backup for my FTM tree.

When you make changes to data in the PC version, the changes can be 'synchronised' to the tree on Ancestry. An added advantage with this synchronisation, is that Ancestry provides hints for the people in your FTM tree. These hints can be data available on Ancestry (baptisms, marriages, censuses etc) or appearance of the individual family in someone else's tree on Ancestry.

Currentprices for FTM2014 are:
Deluxe Edition £39.95 (includes 3 months Essential Subscription to Ancestry)
Platinum Edition £49.95 (includes 6 months Premium subscription to Ancestry)
World Edition £79.95 (includes 6 months World subscription to Ancestry)

Taking these Ancestry subscriptions into account, the product is very reasonable priced.

I currently use FTM2012, but I know FTM2014 is the latest version.

If you want further details,

Please ask

mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: family tree maker

Postby researchgranny » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:52 pm

I use FTM 2014 and like it. As with all programmes you need to spend sometime learning how to use it. Just take care with the hints. I find a proportion are just plain wrong. Check and check again to make sure it is the right person.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
researchgranny

Re: family tree maker what's the point of it?

Postby harfielc » Thu May 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi

I have been merrily creating my family tree in Ancestry for a while now, adding media to various events in peoples history e.g. photos, certificates and so on.

I have had to split the tree so far into the paternal line, the maternal line and my husbands family. So I have 3.

Recently I bought the ancestry DNA kit only to find that they can only run it on one of my 3 trees! I've searched forums and a suggestion is to create a tree on Family Tree Maker, 1 tree with everyone on and then upload this to ancestry to run the DNA on.

I am nervous of using a new tool for 2 reasons. Firstly it'll be a huge effort starting again to load people and add all those images/photos again after all the effort I've already put into creating it. Secondly I fear I will just get into a total muddle with trees on
Ancestry and stuff on Family Tree Maker.

Which leads me to my questions to you on the forum.
1.What would you suggest I do?
2. What is the point of Family Tree Maker if I can put everything on Ancestry? If Ancestry is so good why do I need another duplicate kit?
3.Currently the only place where all my work lives is on Ancestry. Is this a safe strategy? I hear folk talk of GED files, but not got a clue about them.

Thanks in advance for your time.
harfielc

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 15, 2015 6:29 am

Hi,

I think this is a very bad strategy because:

1. Your valuable data is out of your control. You have put a lot of time and effort in getting to where you are, would you be happy if they lost it due to an unfortunate mishap?

2. Using a program like FTM, means you can work on it whenever / wherever you are, especially if you run it on a laptop. Fancy a trip to local Record Centre to do some research, just take the laptop with you and everything is at your fingertips.

3. It is always wise to have more than one copy of your data around, accidents can and do happen, so be prepared and have a backup copy to hand.

Personally, my main data is on my PC, in FTM, and copies of all images I have come across during my research ( I.e. Census, Parish records, Will etc). The images are kept on my PC with copies held on memory sticks and a backup hard disk, just in case.

FTM is also backup up regularly, with the backup also held in 2 or 3 places.

Finally, I export the data from FTM into GEDCOM files (a standard for moving Genealogy data between systems. I believe GEDCOM stands for GEnealogy Data COMmunication standard). The GEDCOM file is then uploaded to my own website, to act as yet another backup.

Just think of how devastated would you feel if you lost all your hard work!

Mike

Mick Loney

Postby harfielc » Fri May 15, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks Mick

Some more questions then:

FTM
- So if I buy FTM for MAC what happens with the subscription I currently pay annually to Ancestry?
- Do I have to start again from scratch in FTM or can I save everything from ancestry to a GEDcom file and then upload that to FTM?

Gedcom
- Where do I find Gedcom?
- Is it easy to use?

Thanks
harfielc

Postby coopernicola » Fri May 15, 2015 9:07 am

A few years ago I got FTM for my iMac and as I already had an Ancestry sub they kindly added the extra on to my account and thus extended my renewal date. You may need to call them to do this but in my experience they answer quickly and are very helpful.
coopernicola

Postby harfielc » Fri May 15, 2015 9:46 am

Nicola

Hi thanks.

When you got FTM did you start from scratch loading in all your details? OR could you save the ancestry tree into another format and then import?
harfielc

family tree maker

Postby Mick Loney » Fri May 15, 2015 11:05 am

Hi,

Once you have FTM installed, you have the option of starting a new tree by downloading one from Ancestry. Having downloaded the first of your trees, you can then merge it with the next tree from Ancestry by downloading that, then download and merge these two with the final tree.

I went to Ancestry's support page (frequently asked questions), searched for 'Downloading On-line Tree' and was taken to a section that explained the process (better than I could).

Personally, I would download the first tree, then save it to my PC. Then I would start a another new tree in FTM then download the second tree and save that. Finally, I would start yet another new tree and download the third tree and then save that. Only after I was happy that I had all three trees safely downloaded and saved to my PC, would I then contemplate merging the trees as outlined above.

Re GEDCOM files. They are not produced by a standalone program, but as a facility provided by most genealogy programs, including FTM. From the menu one would select File/Export, choose GEDCOM as format for output file, give it a name then go. If you need to import a GEDCOM, File/Import is the menu selection needed. It really is that simple.

Mike

PS I forgot to mention that having merged all your trees into FTM, you'll need to upload this back to Ancestry. Perhaps as a fourth tree, leaving the other three as is.

Mike

Mick Loney

family tree maker

Postby coopernicola » Sat May 16, 2015 8:34 am

Mike beat me to it. I found it all very straightforward, as is keeping your information updated by using the "Syncronise Tree" tool.
It's worth creating a Gedcom file of your tree so you can keep this as a record elsewhere, thumb drive etc, as a backup. I usually create a new Gedcom every three months.
Nicola
coopernicola

Next

Return to Genealogy chat