Moderator Control Panel ]

Which tree do you use ?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Which tree do you use ?

Postby grandpadragon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:12 pm

Hello everybody, I seek your advice about which tree to use and how to transfer facts from one provider to a tree on another. I have used Ancestry for some years and so am familiar with their system. I have now got subscriptions to FMP and The Genealogist ( Gifts I hasten to add) but finding them not easy to get to grips with.
I have checked the tutorials on here but they don't give me what I want. For example one branch of my family hails from Gloucester in the 1700's but if I find any information I have to then transfer manually into the tree on Ancestry. Also they give me no guide to other members of the family. I realise this is a big task and there is a site or article that will show me I would be grateful to be told of it
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Which tree do you use ?

Postby coopernicola » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Although I now only have my tree on Ancestry (I used to have one on Genes Reunited and a copy on Family Tree Maker) I feel sure you could update using .gedcom files.
You could experiment by creating a branch of your family as a tree on FMP, then save as a .gedcom, and upload this to Ancestry. After adding useful 'Hints' from Ancestry save as another .gedcom back on FMP. This is rather unwieldy but may help.
To be fair I now use pen & paper to record details from FMP and other web sites/searches then transcribe onto Ancestry as I found having more than one tree really tricky, even the sync tool with FTM had issues. Any documents from websites I save as .jpeg, if possible, into a folder on my computer and attach to my main tree the next time I have time for a session.
I always save a .gedcom on my computer each month too, as a backup.
I'm sure there must be an easier method out there?!?
coopernicola

Re: Which tree do you use ?

Postby Guy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 am

I would suggest that everyone has their main family tree programme on their own computer rather than hosted on a website.
That way you are in control of all the information you have collated. Don't fall into the trap of being locked in to one online site.

Secondary trees can then be uploaded to however many online sites one wishes.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby AntonyM » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 am

I would agree with Guy - whatever program you use, and whatever sites you have access to, you should always keep the master record of your research somewhere that is in your complete control.

That can be on your computer, or in box files on paper, however you choose to work, but do not allow the survival of all your valuable work to be dependent on the whim or existence of any commercial company.
AntonyM

Postby grandpadragon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you for your replies, and my apologies for the delay in replying.
Nicola,
I work very similarly to you, and was looking to cut the time down. I have just found complete army history for an ancestor from 1900/8 I've had to down load each page then upload to my tree on ancestry. and wondered if the Ancestry tree was the most useful or if others were better. I know a couple of years ago Which? recommended Family Historian.
Guy & Anthony
I am well aware of the security issues and like Nicola take regular backups to both hard disk and memory stick. So which tree do you use?
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 pm

I use FamilyTreeMaker (FTM) on my PC, with backup copies held on my TribalPages website and on Ancestry. The Ancestry tree is linked to FTM, and kept up to date on a regular basis by 'Syncing', which only takes a minute or two. As for my Tribalpages website, I export a GEDCOM file from FTM and upload it to the site once or twice a month. I put my tree on these sites solely for others to see and make use of, as I am strongly of the opinion that I DO NOT OWN the data in my tree, which I share with so many other relatives, so why should I object to others seeing it?

As a matter of personal preference, I do NOT add any media into FTM, keeping this separate on my PC, and just make a reference to it, so that I know where to find it.( e.g. parish register and Census images, soldiers service records etc.)

It seems rather bizarre to me to download media from a website, then upload it back again to the same site. Why bother? If others wish to see it, just add a note to point to where you found it.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby Guy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:54 am

grandpadragon wrote:snip.
Guy & Anthony
I am well aware of the security issues and like Nicola take regular backups to both hard disk and memory stick. So which tree do you use?
Emlyn

I use Brothers Keeper a program I have used since the days of MS-DOS.
The majority of updates for this program are free with the occassional major paid upgrade such as the jump from DOS to Windows and similar jumps.

I have an online tree hosted on my Guys of Bottesford site at
http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells/

This site in the main is hosted of free webspace supplied by my internet provider but also links to other providers who also supply free webspace.
Anything that I feel is important enough to remain online after I die is hosted on free webspace provided by the likes of Rootsweb. This space is not relient on any form of subsciption and will remain long after my subscription to Virgin stops on my death.

An advantage of this method is I am not limited in the amount of webspace I use, parts of the website can easily be changed, updated or removed without disturbing the main core of the site and additional parts may be uploaded and worked on before going live by linking in to the main site.
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Which tree do you use ?

Postby coopernicola » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 am

As you mentioned extra documents Emlyn, I thought you may like to know I tend to attached census, WWI medal rolls etc to family members. If I have a relevant photograph I upload one per person. Any other document I keep in a separate folder which has sub folders for each family group. All my photographs are kept in iPhoto (I'm a mac user) they have their own folder which is sub divided. I can then access these to share with others, if requested, or utilise them when making up trees for special occasions. For example I have recently put together a tree for my brother in laws 60th birthday, I have created a small bound document with extra interesting information such as his 3x gt grandfathers military career and a Gt aunts criminal past. There is also a section with headstones & war grave information and area maps to show family movements over the census decades.
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby grandpadragon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Wow! thank you all for your replies, it has given me lots to think about and was what I was looking for. I am grateful for the time you've taken.
Emlyn.
ps Mike the records were on FMP and I wanted them on Ancestry.
grandpadragon

Return to Genealogy chat