Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

Essex research site

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:04 pm

I came across this fantastic site for anyone researching Essex ancestors: [url]http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/placeG/essexg18.html[/url
Enjoy! ]Sylvia

Re: Essex research site

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks Sylvia, I'm just writing a feature about useful free websites and this looks like it should be in there!

Sarah

Essex research site

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:59 am

This appears to send you to SEAX the Essex Archives/Register office website, unless I'm missing something. They do have digital images of original documents but it looks like it's pay per view. However still useful for those of us not near enough to call in.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03 am

Should be Essex Record office!

Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:03 pm

If you select 'Essex A to Z' at the top and then select the village you are interested in, there's lots of free content. Mostly taken from directories (1848, 1863 and 1874) and an 1847 poll book but there's other bits and bobs including education, court cases etc. Although there are links to the SEAX pages (which you do have to pay for), there are free name indexes (e.g. the lists of police officers that includes names and places of birth).

I think Phil George should be congratulated for putting together such a useful website. I know how time consuming these things can be!

Sarah

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks for that, I'll make a note to check it out more thoroughly next week when I have more free time.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks for looking at this one Sarah - I really admire people like Phil George with the passion and commitment to put together so much data on a website. (Much as Peter Higginbotham has done for Workhouses)
Post a reply