Moderator Control Panel ]

Finding missing relatives

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Finding missing relatives

Postby JaneyH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:16 pm

I don't think Hendon, Middlesex (now a London borough) could ever have been part of Oxford - there's the whole of the Chilterns (Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire) between Hendon and even the beginning of Oxfordshire.

Perhaps there's a small neighbourhood in Oxford known as / previously known as Hendon? I've only had a quick look, but Headington (a suburb of Oxford itself) is a possibility, as is a small hamlet about 20 miles north of the city called Hempton.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby fisherman2313 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Just checked all ten of my aunts and uncles profiles and they have all bar two got Hendon Oxford as where the certificates were registered area, the last one has Hendon Buckinghamshire is my last aunt who was born in 1926 and is still alive. I tried googling to see if Hendon was part of Oxford but the results were not helpful i.e not of use. Even Dad had Hendon Oxford as the registered area. My first uncle who was born in 1914 was registered in Uxbridge. I will email the site that I use to see if they can shed any light on why it mentions Hendon Oxford as the area where they were registered. It might be that it is where the records were kept in the era that was when my aunts and uncles were born. Julie
fisherman2313

Postby FamHistAddict » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 pm

I presume you are using ancestry. Hendon does appear as Oxford there. It is WRONG, Hendon is and always has been part of Middlesex. Take a look at genuki.org.uk on the right-hand side there is a Gazetteer, if you put in any town or village you can find out where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
FamHistAddict

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 pm

This isn't just a one off - a number of towns have become associated with utterly incorrect counties in Ancestry's BMD registrations. I have no idea why - there's a limit to even my curiosity - but I suspect that somewhere, something is crossing county boundaries and this something is being applied inappropriately.

The shambles in question applies only to Civil Registration data - unless, of course, you know different.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby SoozOne » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 am

AdrianB38 wrote:This isn't just a one off - a number of towns have become associated with utterly incorrect counties in Ancestry's BMD registrations. I have no idea why - there's a limit to even my curiosity - but I suspect that somewhere, something is crossing county boundaries and this something is being applied inappropriately.

The shambles in question applies only to Civil Registration data - unless, of course, you know different.

Sent from my GT-I8190N

No it appears to be through other areas too. I work a lot in the Ancestry app, I've noticed some really bizarre English location address options when I'm entering new people. I used to just type the place in, click, and not pay that much attention. Lately though I've gone back later and have had to re-enter. I've noticed similar odd addresses on Family Search too. Trouble is unless you actually know what the correct place, county, address should be, there's no way to pick it as wrong and it confuses what should be reliable records. Its about as irritating as having to delete the unnecessary unwanted highly intrusive 'historical' items Ancestry still insist on shoving in between personal facts on new entries. [sigh]

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby JaneyH » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:23 pm

I've come up against a similar issue with poor indexing on Ancestry.

One (very large) strand of my family came from the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, and the Registration District for BMDs is Westbury-on-Severn. I have regularly come across BMD records on Ancestry which say Westbury Wiltshire. To get round this I've variously searched on just Westbury with a wildcard, rather than the correct RD name; I've also cross-referenced to the FreeBMD website and the Gloucestershire BMD website. The latter is especially useful as it includes mothers' maiden names for 19th century records!

To their credit, where I've flagged up these errors with Ancestry they have made corrections.
JaneyH

Postby fisherman2313 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 pm

I emailed the ancestry site and as yet they haven't come back to me. Every time I get the birth certificates Which has been ordered, I will now change the "Hendon Oxford" to the first line of address where they were born. Then hopefully the site should recitfy the mistakes that they have got. It just means I will have to check ALL my main family (father and siblings) and grand parents. Then correct the mistakes with the area where they were born. Julie
fisherman2313

Postby Sylcec » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 pm

It looks to me as if you are relying far too much on the resources of one commercial website and genealogy provider, namely Ancestry. I do hope that you are not using them as a vehicle to buy your certificates as you will be paying "through the nose". The main source to order certs is http://www.gro.gov.uk .
Sylcec

Finding missing relatives

Postby coopernicola » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:49 am

As pointed by Sylcec out relying on one source for information is not always the best option. If you are looking for births in a particular area why not utilise FreeBMD as you can preselect county & area. This is a great double check as their information seems to be more reliable. Also when ordering from GRO, as previously suggested, you get a much better service if the names do not match as they will not send out certificates (and there is a reduced charge as a result).
coopernicola

Postby fisherman2313 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

To answer sylcec query I only order my certificates from GRO. As I have noticed the certificates are more expensive on ancestry. These are ordered only when I have got stuck and the only way to find out certain information is by ordering the certificate.

To answer coopernicola If I am not certain of the full names I only put the surnames of the partys concerned. Then put the information of the parents that I know. So it should reduce the amount of wrong certificates. Sometimes wrong ones do slip though and I receive wrong certificates ie if one set of parents are correct but the other parents don't match up the certificates still turn up, and sometimes they don't send it at all if they don't match 100%. It really depends who is getting the certificates at the GRO end.
fisherman2313

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat