Moderator Control Panel ]

DEATH BY TEETH?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

DEATH BY TEETH?

Postby Bunyip » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:00 am

My husband wrote the following at my request in answer to the query on page 7 in the January edition of WDYTYA. hope it answers the question

DEATH BY TEETH[/b]  [/b] In the era before the discovery and wide distribution of antibiotics, oral infections could be a very serious matter. Oral infections, which resulted in abscesses associated with teeth, generally occurred in three ways. Firstly, if the pulp (nerve) of the tooth became infected due to dental decay or trauma, then often and abscess would occur in the bone at the root tip of the associated tooth. Secondly, people in their later years who develop advanced periodontal disease of the gums and associated bone and tooth structure, would produce an abscess anywhere under the root structure of the tooth, between the bone and tooth. Thirdly, another common infection was pericoronitis, an infection under the gum overlapping the crown of a wisdom tooth, and eventually migrating into the deeper area below the crown. If any of the above conditions got out of control and were infected with virulent strains of streptococci, then often a fatal condition would develop that is called Cellulitis[/i]. Cellulitis[/i] describes the tracking of the infection between the tissue cells in interstitial spaces, and rapidly spreads by breaking down the tissue in these spaces. This resultant spreading of the infection eventually caused the lymphatic system to be invaded with a consequential bacteremia of the blood system. This extreme toxicity of the above systems produced by bacterial exudate resulted in death – “death by teeth”

Original thread can be found -[url=http://forum.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.com/tm.asp?m=516]HERE[/url]
Bunyip

RE: DEATH BY TEETH?

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Fantastic post! Thanks for this. [:)]

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Return to Genealogy chat