Moderator Control Panel ]

Gnr George Wilson (RHA) - Belgian Decoration Militaire Medal

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Gnr George Wilson (RHA) - Belgian Decoration Militaire Medal

Postby David Lea » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm researching an ancestor, Gunner 118488 George Wilson, who served with the Royal Horse Artillery during WW1.

George was injured but thankfully survived the war. Besides the Victory and British War Medal (which show up on his MIC), George was also awarded the 'Belgian Decoration Militaire Medal' (possibly at Ypres?) but we know very little more about his army life.

There is a mention of the award in the London Gazette but with only basic details.

I'd love to find out more about his army service and particularly, what he did to be awarded the Decoration Militaire? Can anyone assist?

Many thanks

David
David Lea

Re: Gnr George Wilson (RHA) - Belgian Decoration Militaire M

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Suggest that other countries' medals are sufficiently obscure that you post in the Great War Forum. They seem to range in significance from important gallantry awards to job lots that got provided in bulk to the British Army then handed out to the vaguely deserving.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby David Lea » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:26 am

Cheers Adrian... I have previously tried the Great War Forum and apart from the link to the London Gazette, I had a limited response, hence my posting to this forum.

Thanks for your help anyway and fingers crossed I'll find something one day!

Regards

David
David Lea

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Wow - that must be a really obscure Belgian medal then.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Selina0712 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Kind the facebook group 'who was my family -genealogy' They are friendly and can be very helpful in finding obscure stuff for you.
Selina0712

Postby David Lea » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks Selina... I hadn't heard of them but I've now sent a request to join the group and I'll certainly give it a go! As I always think with these types of things, the answer's out there somewhere, it's just a matter of finding it!

I'll post a result if I have any success!

Thanks again for your help.

David
David Lea

Postby Bushmanbob » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:47 pm

I was delighted to read your post regarding the above award. My wife's late great-uncle Driver James Francis O'Brien. 58270. 5th Reserve Brigade. Royal Field Artillery, wrote to say that he had been awarded the Legion of Honour medal. Nothing is mentioned on his Medal Index Card. I mistakenly assumed he was referring to the French award and naturally approached the French authorities. Their reply was of course negative. Unfortunately he died of his wounds in December 1915. Unfortunately, I then considered the claim as a bit of bravado and dismissed it. Now it appears there is some truth in the claim to restore this brave man's honour.
I wonder if there is an address similar to the French, that one could write to in this regard?
With best regards,
Robert
Bushmanbob

Postby David Lea » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi Robert

Interesting to hear about your wife's relative.

I think it's probably fair to say he was awarded the medal, presumably for some act of courage or other good conduct.

My relative was mentioned in the London Gazette so I know for certain he did receive the award but it only gives brief details and no details at all as to why. Have you tried searching there for a formal record to confirm your wife's relative did receive it?

I've thought of writing to the Belgian authorities but all I've found so far was their Military History Museum. I did email them a few weeks ago but to date, haven't had any response. It's probably worth persevering with this, even if the ultimate response is negative... at least I'd know that I'd have exhausted all enquiries.

If I get any response or make any inroads, I'll add it to this thread for information.

Good luck!

David
David Lea

Return to Military help