Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Tree

Postby joanchop » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am

Hi
Have researched my Family Tree for about 10 years now, spending money as well as time putting it together, but what can I do with all this information when I die if my daughters do not wish to inherit and carry on the work? I have been told I could leave it to a Family History society but as most of the work is on-line and mostly family photos and certificates, etc., do not think a society would be interested. Your thoughts please?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
joanchop

Re: Family Tree

Postby Guy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 am

One thought would be to develop a family tree site on Rootsweb.
http://accounts.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
Thought now owned by Ancestry the provide free web space to individuals for genealogical use.
You do not have to subscribe to anything and you have total control of the website.
This web space will still exist after you have gone
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Any family history society would be more than glad of your material if there is no-one in your family interested. Why not save all you have on the computer to a disk or memory stick, upload your certificates and photos and do the same and leave instructions as where you want it all to go.

It would be a shame for all your research and hard work to be consigned to the bin.
KayFarndon

Postby AntonyM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:12 pm

The Society of Genealogists will also take your research and make it available to help others in the future.

Details are on their website:

http://www.sog.org.uk/learn/share-your-knowledge/
AntonyM

Postby joanchop » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:08 am

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. Food for thought!!
Regards
Joan

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
joanchop

Postby Deputy Editor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am

Hello Joan
Just to let you know that we're running a feature in the March 2015 issue of the magazine about preserving your legacy, which might give you some other ideas about how to safeguard your research for future generations…
Claire
Deputy Editor

Postby brunes08 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm

A friend of mine creates biographies that include photographs etc on her ancestors and has them printed by Lulu.com. I am going to do the same with mine as many family members only want the stories not all the research behind. The costs to produce are very, very reasonable. I am also including a note with my will which states that should my heirs not want the material, they have to find members of the family who might want it. Failing that then they are to offer it to the relevant local family history societies or the Society of Genealogists.
brunes08

Return to Genealogy chat