Moderator Control Panel ]

Victoria Gardens, Wembley

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Postby SoozOne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:30 am

Hi Everyone
I'm fairly new to the Forum, so I've been mostly reading in to get my bearings. A topic below dated a couple of years ago on house history caught my eye. I thought I'd look up the house where I was born. I looked in Google maps, but nothing. I thought that was odd, but it was a near lifetime ago when my parents lived there - between 1941 and 1945 - and districts change especially around the Stadium.

I did an internet search and found London old maps which gives good detailed maps of the area around that time. Nothing there either. I did find a Victoria Court, and Victoria Avenue both off the nearby Harrow Road, but no sign of Victoria Gardens. Those maps are from pre-1940. I recognised many streets and areas my parents talked about over the years ... Kenton, Oakington Manor Drive (where grandparents lived), Monks Park, Harrow Road etc.

The address, on my birth certificate, is clearly 23 Victoria Gardens, Wembley. And the certificate has Harrow subdistrict Hendon Registry. All I know of the house is that it was "up the road from the Wembley Stadium", and used to regularly get rubbish dumped by the punters. So I reckon fairly close.

Can anyone suggest any further 1940s internet search areas please. It would be nice to know at least where it was.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Re: Victoria Gardens, Wembley

Postby irishstreetlad » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 am

Try this site. Many streets had their names changed over the years.
http://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/Street ... _Names.htm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
irishstreetlad

Postby Editor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:25 pm

We had a feature in our January issue on how to research your house history. We've also got one in our current February issue on using maps. The site you need for 1940s maps of London is:

http://maps.nls.uk/os/national-grid/index.html

I also recommend http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ for that era.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby FamHistAddict » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:13 pm

I have a copy of the 1938 A-Z for London. In it there is only Victoria Avenue in Wembley. The one Victoria Gardens listed in W11, south of Ladbroke Grove underground station. Presuming that this is contemporary with your birth it looks like there might be an error on your birth certificate!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
FamHistAddict

Postby SoozOne » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:00 am

FamHistAddict wrote:I have a copy of the 1938 A-Z for London. In it there is only Victoria Avenue in Wembley. The one Victoria Gardens listed in W11, south of Ladbroke Grove underground station. Presuming that this is contemporary with your birth it looks like there might be an error on your birth certificate!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Thank you for looking FamHistAddict. The W11 Victoria Gardens is way over in NottingHill. I checked it out a few days ago, and definitely the wrong one.
I can confirm there is no error on my birth certificate. My dad was a pharmacist, very meticulous with paperwork. Having said that I have found further proof of the existence of the missing house/street.
Today I investigated the "family shoebox" (literally) which my mother gave me to look after when she moved to a terminal resthome in 1997, and which I hadn't really looked through before.
This turned out to be a rather exciting trove.
In it amongst a load of now probably unidentifiable old photos and other family documents, were my parents' wartime National Identity Register cards with the address 23 Victoria Gardens, Wembley Hill, date stamped JN-2 43. I know this is legit as their temporary move to Oakington Manor Drive in January 1946 to my maternal grandparents' house is also registered and stamped on the same form. As is the subsequent move down to Truro in Cornwall three months later when I was around three and a half.
Also in the shoebox is a used envelope with some postage stamps. The envelope is addressed to my father at 23 Victoria Gardens, Wembley, and the postmark is 10 Dec 1936. So he was getting mail delivered there for at least 10 years, and I have a vague recollection that my paternal grandfather bought it for dad as a wedding present when he married his first wife. My mother, (2nd wife), was always very clear I was born just up the road to the Wembley Stadium too. So there is no doubt about the address ... I just have to find it.

Thank you Sarah, I have checked out both the sites you recommend. But have had no luck. The photos site was very interesting and I'm going back there for a good browse. It has some excellent Stadium photos, but it with no street names.

And thank you too IrishStreetLad. I checked out the site you suggested. Worked through the lists of thousands of changed street names, but no luck there, so I emailed the owner Bruce Hunt yesterday, who got back to me overnight saying he was unusually stumped, but put me onto the Brent Historical Society, which I emailed today.

I'm meeting a whole lot of very helpful new folk, and one day I WILL find out what happened to my illusive first home.

The search continues.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Could Victoria Gardens have been a small terrace or crescent on Wembley Hill? If so, it may now be a house number directly on Wembley Hill, or another nearby road, rather than a separate street.

I used to live in a house currently numbered 90 Hazelwick Road. However a few years ago someone was trying to trace the same house, which was known previously as 5 Ladysmith Terrace when their ancestor was born there. Ladysmith Terrace was built in 1900 before many of the other houses in the road. As more houses were built, the name Hazelwick Road was given, presumably to make it easier for the post office and trades making deliveries, as it is easier to find a house in a road than it is to find houses and cottages with individual names in a small village.

Edited to remove a spelling mistake - I am very pedantic!
Last edited by ksouthall on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby SoozOne » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:01 am

Thank you for that suggestion ksouthall. I now have the answer to my search and it is similar.
Firstly though I am very grateful to the Wembley Historical Society and the Brent Archives to going to a lot of trouble to solve the problem of the disappearing road.
Turns out its still there, 46 houses on one side of the road between Wyld Way and St Michael's Avenue, originally Victoria Gardens but now its called Harrow Road.
It was originally planned as the Victoria Garden Suburb pre WWl and was the whole triangular area from Monks Park to Wembley Hill, Oakington Manor Drive to what is now Harrow Road. Philip Grant from the Historical Society sent me a copy of the original notice. "House prices £395. Surrounded by beautiful country. 44 acres free to residents". Where the Stadium is now was a golf course, and to the west was woods.
Far cry to today!
Philip sent a present day map with the approximate position of 'my' house. I checked it out on google maps and I'm pretty sure its the original building.
He also sent the street page from Kelly's 1938 Directory. And there was my Dad's name beside number 23. That was a very emotional moment.
In the email was a whole raft of very interesting background info on the original concept, and subsequent change of name.
Philip also offered to take a photo of the house when he's next in the area. Which is pretty awesome.
So thankyou too everyone who helped and guided my search from here.
Now I can start writing up my Tree!

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Hello SoozOne,

I'm glad you have solved the mystery and that you have got more information than you expected. Hopefully this solution will help other people with similar problems.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby palmershoaf » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks for sharing such good information.
palmershoaf

Return to Local history