Moderator Control Panel ]

Canadian Convalescent home, Trouville

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Canadian Convalescent home, Trouville

Postby devonliz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a New Year card (postmarked 2 Jan 1919) sent to my grandfather at his home address from a Canadian Convalescent home in Trouville. There is no signature on the card, but H.T.Hudspeth is written across one corner of the envelope.
My grandfather was a Lieutenant in the King's Liverpool Regiment until mid-1918, when he joined the RAF - it is possible that he spent some time in a hospital but would this have been in the Canadian Convalescent Home for Officers, Ferme du Coteau, Trouville? The card says 'May this wonderful year bring you every happiness' and there is an insert with a poem entitled 'Epilogue' indicating that the Home was in Trouville Feb-Dec 1918, and in Dieppe until November 1917.
Is there any information on these convalescent homes and perhaps a British home or hospital nearby where my grandfather may have been a patient? (There is a family story that he met a nice nurse while out in France, but they must have lost touch after the War)
devonliz

Re: Canadian Convalescent home, Trouville

Postby peter kent » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 am

I don't know the answer but there's a war diary in the National Archives series WO95 entitled "Trouville Area: Deputy Director Medical Services" covering 1917 June - 1919 Nov.

Might be interesting.

WO 95/4048

There was No 1 Canadian General Hospital in Trouville which ceased to admit patients on 27 Jan 1919
peter kent

Re: Canadian Convalescent home, Trouville

Postby devonliz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks, Peter, that's a great start. I will follow up these archives.
devonliz

Return to Military help