Moderator Control Panel ]

Ancestry duplication help

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby warpo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi all, pain in the backside here again :lol:

I have come across a couple on my tree twice.

1 - My grandfather's brother Horace married an Edna. Now Edna was James' sister. James married Eileen and together they had a child called Eileen Love. Eileen Love married David Gillbanks.

2 - My grandfather married Alice. Alice's first husband was called Percy. Percy is the brother of Doris. Doris married George and together they had a child called David Gillbanks. David Gillbanks married Eileen Love.

The loop connects through my nannas first marriage and my grandfathers, brother's marriage. Yet on my tree I have two lines. Is there a way I can join these people up instead of duplicating people already on my tree?

I hope ive been descriptive, if not please ask.

Many thanks in advance as usual,
Dean
warpo

Re: Ancestry duplication help

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:34 am

On Ancestry there is an option called Merge with Duplicate. This can be found by selecting the person you want and clicking on More Options. It is quite straightforward as it is likely to suggest options for you. If not, select the person you want to merge with by typing in their name or viewing a list of people in your tree. I hope this helps.
ksouthall

Postby coopernicola » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 pm

I have a similar problem, cousins marrying. It has also created a weird loop on my tree. I actually called Ancestry to try and sort this (I am a Mac user and thought this may be an issue, it's not). We went through the "Merge" facility. This put all the relevant information together. Sadly this did not cure the weird visual loop problem. They were stumped too! When printing out trees this does not appear to be an issue though.
If anyone has an easy fix I'm sure many of us will be grateful.
coopernicola

Postby fisherman2313 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I also have cousins marrying each other on my tree. I just had to put them on the tree individually. I never even knew that I could merge and duplicate them. So will try to merge and duplicate them Seeing that I am a bit of a beginner at the family tree interest. I will probably get totally lost so will just give up and keep them as they are. Just shows to look and learn from other people who have similar issues with past family members. Thank you to Ksouthall and Coopernicola for advice on this problem will try to do what they advice. Julie
fisherman2313

Postby JaneyH » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I, too, have a weird loop on my tree. I use FTM / Ancestry and everyone is attached to the right parent / spouse, but the relationships are not obvious - even when looking at it as a tree. Here's what happened, back in the late 1800s.

George and Henry were brothers. Sarah Jane and Alice were sisters. So far, two separate families. Then, George married Sarah Jane, and Henry married Alice. So two brothers married two sisters. One of George & Sarah Jane's children was Hubert. One of Henry & Alice's children was Annie. Hubert and Annie married. By my reckoning this makes Hubert and Annie "double" cousins, since Hubert's aunt (Alice) was also his mother-in-law, and likewise Annie's uncle (George) was also her father-in-law.

It took me a while to get my head around this. Initially I thought I'd made a mistake, but then I got in touch with a distant cousin who shares this bit of our family tree and she confirmed it.
JaneyH

Return to Genealogy chat