Moderator Control Panel ]

Louisa Xenna

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Louisa Xenna

Postby tammyjohn3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm

I'm trying to trace my ferguson family tree. My grandmother never knew much about her family as she only met her grandfather twice. My G grandfather was a piano tuner/ musician from Kensington he married a woman believed to be Louisa xenna as this is the woman who is on my g grandfathers birth certificate yet I can't find a trace of her maiden name anywhere. Some censuses claim she was born in Southwark whilst others say old Kent road. My family always believed she was a French singer. I've gone down the route of changing the name to kenna McKenna and everything else I can think of yet still nothing. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
tammyjohn3

Re: Louisa Xenna

Postby junkers » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:51 pm

If you can give us details of what you have found it would help to see what we could suggest. Southwark and Old Kent Road are not that far apart.
junkers

Postby tammyjohn3 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Louisa was born around 1857 she married Arthur ferguson who was born 1850 they had three boys Percy 1877 Francis/ frank 1881 and Frederick 1883- 1950. Fergusons lived at 2 Charles street Kensington as far back as I can find. Found back to Arthur's grandfather Henry. Louisa was a dressmaker. So it may have been the woman that Arthur remarried that was French I don't know when they married I believe she was burnt alive in a fireplace or someone that Arthur married Arthur was unsure which.

Just to clarify Frederick was my great grandfather his brothers were Percy and Francis. There father was Arthur he had many siblings, Francis, Emily, Alice, Sophia, Carolina, Edwin/ Arthur. Their father was Henry James ferguson and his father Alexander. Hope this helps.

tammyjohn3

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:26 am

Good morning
Can i make a suggestion?
Looking at on line trees for Frederick Ferguson it gives Louisa as Louisa Mc Xenna
Could this be Mckenna?
If so there is a registraion in St George southwark
Louisa Mckenna Dec 1855 1d 115

In 1861 census 11 Thomas St Old Kent road
John McKenna 54 Tin ? and zinc plate worker Westminster
Amelia 42 Bermondsey
William 19 labourer Southwark
Isabella 11 Southwark
Emma 9 scholar
Louisa 5 Southwark
Eleanor 1 Southwark

But by 1871 she's at John St Bermondsey Leather market
Ann Wilson 47 lic Vitualler Bermondsey
Eleanor 25 teacher piano forte Bermondsey
John 16 assistant in business
John father 79 widower living on income from house Staplehurst Kent
Louisa McKenna 16 servant Old Kent road.

Could they have met through Eleanor the piano teacher?
There is a death for Louisa Ferguson Mar 1929 Kensington born 1854 1a 435.
I still can't see a marriage but most things fit.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby tammyjohn3 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Wow this is great! Thanks it's seems like this could be her!

tammyjohn3

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 am

Hi me again
It looks like John Mckenna was married to a Amelia Brenncis at St George the Maytr Southwark 31.7.1836.There are banns but seemingly no marriage records.
The only Brenncis members I can find are born in Germany and are in 1900 censuses for the US but perhaps she came from some where like Alsace Lorraine and could be the French connection you are looking for.
Possible baptism 22.3.1818 Mary Ann Amelia Braney d of William Henry and Mary Ann tobacconist born 20.2.1818 St Savior Southwark
All the best
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby tammyjohn3 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi
I'm extremely new to this sorry what are banns?
The fact their are no records of marriage is strange although I can't find a marriage for Arthur ferguson to Louisa yet they were my great grandfathers parents. I have found no records of Fredericks brothers births the only reason I know they existed is through censuses.
You have been very helpful though!
Thank you!
tammyjohn3

Louisa Xenna

Postby brunes08 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Banns were a proclamation of an intended marriage which had to be read 3 times in the parish/s of the intended bride and groom on consecutive weeks before the wedding in church. The vicar would read the Banns out usually at the end of a service. This was to allow for anyone who believed that the intended marriage may not be lawful, eg one was already married or underage etc. This requirement had been in place since the 13th century. Sometimes, to save the cost of having two sets of Banns read, one of the partners may move into the Parish of the other. This sometimes causes confusion because people are not always where we think they should be. Often the same address is identified but this did not necessarily mean the couple were living together before the marriage.
brunes08

Postby tammyjohn3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 pm

I have since ordered a death certificate for Louisa as myself, another family member who has been doing research for over 40 years and another expert have all found this to be her death in march 1929. When the death certificate arrived it was not her, this woman was married to a Samuel ferguson and her daughter was present at her death, Louisa had no daughters! I am seriously struggling with this as me and my family are desperate to find out what happened to her but literally have nothing now! The census I could find her on was the 1901, although I am now aware that her 'husband' (no marriage registered) commit suicide in 1908. I obviously know what happened to my great grandfather (their son) but still no luck with his brothers!
tammyjohn3

Postby JuliaBalbilla » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi
Not sure that I can help with this as having problems finding a marriage too. However, my daughter is connected to this family through her father. She is descended from Caroline Coward, sister of Arthur Ferguson's mother Sophia).
JuliaBalbilla

Next

Return to General research queries