Moderator Control Panel ]

Prisoner of war camp

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Prisoner of war camp

Postby linzda1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 am

Hi want to found my Grandad records when he was in a prisoner war camp in England he was a german paratrooper and was captured in oct 1944 his name is heinz Henry hickman dose any one know where I can what camp he was in any info would be great full thank you

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
linzda1

Re: Prisoner of war camp

Postby brunes08 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:29 am

I think your best start would be to go to the National Archives website - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Some records of Prisoners of War are held there. The site is a bit difficult to understand at times but worth trying. I do not know where you live but in case you are not in the UK, the Archives are at Kew, south west London.
brunes08

Postby linzda1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Yeah I live in suffolk I try that thanks I know one of the camps in Yorkshire thanks for the help

linzda1

Postby AntonyM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:55 am

There is more detailed information about what the National Archives do hold here:

http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/ ... ersons.htm
AntonyM

Postby linzda1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:36 pm

I found all camps he was in they in his war records but is they a way founding a record of him being there any help would be good

linzda1

Postby Sylcec » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:14 am

You seem to be unclear about what it is you hope to find. You have already told us that you have a record of all the camps he was in as they are stated in his war record. (or at least that is my understanding of what you have said on 12 Jan). Therefore you need to follow the advice given by Anthony to read the National Archives Guide and then undertake the further research suggested there. You may not find detailed records about your grandfather as an individual, but will find details about the camps he was in. Local or county archives may also hold information about the camps in their district.

If you live nowhere near London, you may need to employ a researcher to do the work at the National Archives for you.
Sylcec

Return to Military help