Moderator Control Panel ]

Error on Birth certificate, Advice please

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Error on Birth certificate, Advice please

Postby mel1e » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 pm

My grandfather had the surname Bryant, on my fathers birth certificate it stated Bryan (surname), on his brothers and sisters it was Bryant, he, and his siblings were always known as Bryant, they were all Bryant on each census. My father put Bryan on mine and my siblings birth certificates believing he had to because it said Bryan on his. Can I have my birth certificate changed back to Bryant which it should be. There is no record of my Grandfathers birth, only workhouse christening records and marriage certificate both Bryant. Also my fathers birth certificate is unavailable on record, I have seen the original which I now do not have possession of. My great grandparents came from Italy in the C19th with my Grandad and siblings ,there are no records whatsoever. Just what my father told me (now deceased). I am proud of my Italian heritage and wish to change my name back to our North Italian ,now virtually obsolete in Italy surname of Bryant (originally from Brittany France).
mel1e

Re: Error on Birth certificate, Advice please

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 pm

See https://www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration

However I have to say that there's a lot of paper stuff missing in your story. I don't doubt the truth of it but you may find that the GRO want more proof than you currently have access to.

Having said all that - it seems to me that there are two issues here. What name you go under and correcting the certificates. You can change your name any time you like. As I understand it, you don't even need a Deed Poll - it just happens to be the best way of proving that yes, you really do have a right to that money in the bank account with another name. And probably even if a corrected certificate was issued, getting a Deed Poll might be advisable for the same reason.

WARNING - this is all my personal opinion which could be way off. You need proper advice, starting with the GRO.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Error on Birth certificate, Advice please

Postby Sylcec » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:08 am

I tend to agree with Adrian and consider that the best way to go is a name change documented by Deed Poll which you can also have Gazetted (I think - from memory this is not automatic, so need to check).
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Genealogy chat