Moderator Control Panel ]

Digital BMD Certificates

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Digital BMD Certificates

Postby grandpadragon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Just received the info in the update email I so hope it comes about as I am sure there ar many like me who cannot afford to just keep ordering Certs at £9-25 a time.
Emlyn
grandpadragon

Re: Digital BMD Certificates

Postby Editor » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes it may take some time (the wheels of government turn slowly) but it will be very welcome when it comes. I notice that although they say the certificates will arrive more quickly and digitally, they haven't mentioned anything about price. I hope they will be considerably cheaper!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Guy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:37 am

I would suggest that all those who want digital certificates to be cheaper email Memebers of the House of Lords and voice their concerns.
Baroness Scott of Needham Market moved a Bill in the Lords in November (she withdrew it in order to amend it after a short debate) .
Baroness Scott is currently in talks with the Home Office to try to sort out the points raised in the debate in order to draft a suitable Bill to enable legislation on this.

The more people who contact Members of the Lords and indeed their own Member of the House of Commons, the more chance there is for the new bill to succeed.

Please visit the Campaign to Open Historic Registers website at
http://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html

You can make a difference by emailing Members of the Lords and your own Member of the House of Commons.

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby leslam » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 am

Don't hold your breath on price! NZ have such a system and the cost per certificate is about 20$NZ much the same as ours is now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
leslam

Postby johnf04 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Leslam - that's the price for a printout of the original register, post 1874. Pre 1875, printouts are $26.50. Certificates are also $26.50 for all entries.
johnf04

Postby leslam » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks for confirming the prices johnf04. Certainly not cheaper than our current system.
I remember taking a gulp when ordering a couple last year; it is however great to get them quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
leslam

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Unfortunately, digital wills are not cheaper than paper copies were. Although it would be nice if digital BMD certificates cost less than the current paper copies, I would not be surprised if they cost the same, or maybe even more to cover the costs of digitisation.
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:20 pm

I guess that's because the labour to produce the digital copy of the will is, if anything, more than the production of the paper copy. The original still has to be pulled from the archive then (instead of photocopying) it needs to be scanned and loaded into the online file storage (instead of into an envelope). Only when you happen to hit on a will that's already been digitised and loaded, will there be any saving to the Probate Service.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:29 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:.....Only when you happen to hit on a will that's already been digitised and loaded, will there be any saving to the Probate Service.

Does this mean that wills are being digitised on request rather than all digitised as part of a large scale digitisation project? If so, I didn't realise that. It's still a useful service though. I have downloaded 2 1858-1996 wills so far. Both have added useful information to my family history.
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:55 pm

My understanding from the description is that the wills are digitised only on request. The only thing digitised for the project has been the calendars. The same thing applied to the soldiers' wills, I think.

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Magazine chat