Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing Victory Medal

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Missing Victory Medal

Postby bernardhowell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 pm

I have a WW1 medal group including a "death penny" and Military Medal from my ancestor J. Baxter Pte 73071 11/N&D R.. I think the group is incomplete because the Victory Medal (wilfred) is missing . Could this be because of his KIA in 1917 or has it become lost from the group?
Any expert thoughts on this please would be welcome.
Reccomendations regarding cleaning/mounting of the group would also be appreciated.
bernardhowell

Re: Missing Victory Medal

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:12 pm

If you can look at Ancestry's Medal Index Cards for "John Baxter" number 73071, you will see that his campaign medals are for Victory (Medal), British (War Medal) and 1915 Star. So yes, if the Victory Medal (the bronze one) isn't there, then it's been lost. Which is slightly odd because if one goes, it's usually the BWM which had a high silver content, therefore an intrinsic value, so numbers got melted down.

KIA would have had no effect on any issuing of campaign medals, as they were sent on to the next of kin.

BWMs were issued with no VM to start with - this was when someone went abroad but not into a theatre of war - classically to India on garrison duty, but the MIC shows all 3 to have been issued here.

I have no opinion on cleaning and mounting - as a schoolboy coin collector I was always told "Never polish", but that doesn't seem to apply to medals. And I've never seen a medal mount setting that shows up both sides, which I'd want to see.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby bernardhowell » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks Adrian for that reply I half suspected that would be the case with the lost wilfred.
Does anyone else have any experiences with professional cleaning and mounting services? I would be pleased to hear from them.
bernardhowell

Postby DavidG » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Have you seen this site?

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridge ... mes-B.html

It gives an account of how he won his MM

Dave
DavidG

Postby bernardhowell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

David, thanks for that link. That is exactly what I have been looking for. As always the forum has come up trumps.
Thanks very much
bern
bernardhowell

Postby DavidG » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Glad to help, as for the medal restoration and framing there are numerous companies that will do it and will find replacement medals for you. However, be careful who you choose as you get what you pay for and some replica/replacement medals are poor quality.

Dave
DavidG

Postby bernardhowell » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:56 am

Thanks again David for that, and also thanks for the other info re the badge ID on the other forum question I had posted.
Bern
bernardhowell

Postby Editor » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Bern, one of our readers who saw your forum post printed in the magazine has written in to say that on the MIC for Pte Baxter there is an 'R' against the Victory Medal. If this means 'Returned' or 'Refused' it may explain why you can't find it.

I've checked the actual medal rolls that are now on Ancestry and unfortunately it just says he is eligible for the Victory Medal and there are no 'Remarks' added.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby bernardhowell » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Hello Sarah, thanks for your post re the "R" on the medal index card for Pte J Baxter and thanks for your contributor to the WDYTYA magazine forum. I had spotted the "R" on the card but I believe it refers to the change of regiment that had happened, or in military terms Re-badging. I could be wrong and any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards
bern
bernardhowell

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 am

I suspect Bernard is closer to the truth about the "R". A star links the line "S Staff R" (originally "S Staff" if you're looking at the Ancestry version in colour) with the lines for the Victory and BWM. While the star is actually on the line for the Victory, this is a pretty standard way of dealing with both. If someone wanted to mark the Victory Medal on the card as "R for returned" (e.g. for correction?) then surely the "R" would be directly against the VM and not on the regimental line?

I suspect that what we see is a fairly standard alteration of the card between the issue of the 1914/15 Star and the issue of the VM/BWM pair. His name has altered from "Baxter J" to "Baxter John" and his first regiment has altered from "S Staff" to "S Staff R". Maybe someone thought "S Staff" could be confused with staff as in staff officers, so added the "R" to make it clear it was the Regiment of that name.

What's actually on the medals, I've no idea.... I don't know if the guy impressing the medals used the index cards or the full roll.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to Military help