Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing relatives in 39th Regiment of Foot

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Tracing relatives in 39th Regiment of Foot

Postby Sue PAtchett » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:07 am

Can anyone help with resolving some gaps please? My X2 Great Grandfather Samuel Toy served and died of wounds from 1st Afghanistan War In 1845 in India when with the 39th. He married there Ann Beswick.[or Berwick] First gap is how she got there. They had a daughter Esther in 1844 born in Dinapore. I believe her mother remarried out there to George Lewis but he wasn't at that time in the 39th. There is no trace of Esther until she turns up married to John Hill in England and they have a son also John Hill who states was born in either "India" or "East Indies" on various Census's. I have discovered that John Hill senior was a baker with the 39th Regiment and have his full service record. It shows that he never served in India or the East Indies but was first posted to Canada and then on to West Indies - I believe to Barbados before the Regiment moved back to the UK and Ireland in the 1860s. Can anyone help with tracing how Esther got from India to wherever she married John. Given that the births of subsequent children trace beautifully his various postings eg Aldershot, Caterham, Dublin, I can only assume that John Hill junior was born before they came back to UK but I can't trace a marriage or birth.
This has defeated me for about 5 years and I would love some help please.
Sue PAtchett

Re: Tracing relatives in 39th Regiment of Foot

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 pm

The possible second marriage of Ann TOY, age 22, (nee Berwick or Beswick) was to George JAMES a Private in HM 30th Regt Foot, 5 Feb 1947 at the Fort William (Calcutta) Garrison. Of interest is the fact that recorded are the words "of European parentage on both sides". Her father is recorded as being named Richard Berwick.

Unfortunately the marriage on 7 July 1841 at Kamptee (the military cantonment adjacent to Nagpur) does not include the name of her father or her age, and the witness names are not helpful.

I am surprised not to have found other children born to Ann and Samuel Toy, but if she was only 15 or 16 at the time of her first marriage, she may not have been quite ready for pregnancy.
Neither have I yet found any children born to Ann and George James.

All for now, I will revisit this later. Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: Tracing relatives in 39th Regiment of Foot

Postby Sue PAtchett » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for this response. I think that there may have been a child born to Samuel and Ann in 1843 named Joseph who died the same year. Like you I haven't found any children from the 2nd marriage of Ann to George James. I can only assume Ann's parents were also military or in some way connected to India as I don't think a 15/16 year old would have gone out to India alone to marry.I believe George's father, Lewis James was also a soldier in India as I have found a record for him in FIBIS.
Anything else you find would be great :)
Sue PAtchett

Return to Military help