Moderator Control Panel ]

7th Dragoon Guards

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

7th Dragoon Guards

Postby warpo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:35 pm

My Great Grandfather served in the 7th Dragoon.

In 1881 he was stationed at Aldershot.

All I have ever found of his service record was this image of a request for discharge:

(Right click the image and view to see it all.

He became a corporal, and I was told it was very likely from remembering a portrait, that he finished a Sergeant.

Both Ancestry and FMP are drawing blanks for me except this image from: 1886 - 06 Mar - Chelsea Pensioners' discharge documents 1760-1887
warpo

Re: 7th Dragoon Guards

Postby Sylcec » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:54 am

Have finally worked out that the abbreviation for reason of discharge stands for Limited Engagement! Corpl Willmore probably signed up for 5 or 7 years and didn't renew his service at the end of that period. So your ancestor was not discharged with a pension. I note that the record is in the series WO121/0246 and that he was discharged in 1886. On consulting the National Archives with respect to series WO121 it says in part:
"Royal Hospital, Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners
Reference: WO 121
Title: Royal Hospital, Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners
Description:
These records contain certificates of service of pensioners of the Royal Hospital Chelsea similar to the discharge documents in WO 97. This series also includes general discharge registers for the period 1871 to 1884 and registers and nominal rolls of men discharged without pension for the period 1884 to 1887.

In WO 121/1-136 each item record relates to an individual soldier and records their name, any alias names, their place and county of birth (as recorded in the document and thus often mispelt), their regiment(s), their age on discharge and the length of their service. Covering dates give the soldier's year of discharge unless otherwise stated."

So - you will see, that despite the title, not all records included are for pensioners!

If you want to find more about your ancestor's military service you will need to consult the pay lists and muster rolls (as available) for the period of his service - or pay a researcher to do it for you!
Good hunting!! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby warpo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Thank you very much Sylvia,

How do I go about searching pay lists and muster roles? Are they publicly available online or do we need to visit the National Archives?

Alternatively also, where would be the best place you could refer a researcher, are they expensive?

Thank you again,
Dean
warpo

Postby junkers » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:22 pm

The Pay Lists/Muster Rolls (WO 12 and WO 16) are not online (with the exception of 1861, see Findmypast) and have to be searched at The National Archives, Kew with a Reader's Ticket. They are arranged by Quarters of the year so if you have 7 years that is about 28 volumes, some cover more than one year. Each volume takes about 40 minutes to order and about 30 minutes to go through, if that helps.
junkers

Postby warpo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:09 pm

A single parent with four kids makes it kind of hard to visit Kew. Its about 250 miles away from me :x
warpo

Postby Sylcec » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:11 am

You can access a list of independent researchers approved by TNA here: http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/irlist/.
I have also sent you a PM with a few names.
Sylcec

Postby warpo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:37 am

Thank you Sylcec, I appreciated your time on this.

Dean
warpo

Return to Military help