Moderator Control Panel ]

Advice please

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Advice please

Postby meekhcs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:03 am

Help!........ I am not "with it"when it comes to computers!!
Over the years I have built up an in depth Private Family Tree on Ancestry, not because I am unhappy with sharing in genera,l but because some of the items I have attached are personal to "Our Family" and nothing to do with my sixth cousin, seven times removed!!!
I am at present putting together a book for our children. Once that is complete I will remove all the living members from the tree and "sensitive" info and pare it down to our Grand parents and beyond.
At some stage I would like to remove the tree from ancestry, I cannot keep paying a sub forever,but do not want to lose all the research I have carried out over the years.......and here is my dilemma.
How would I go about this?...because at some stage in the future I may well decide to gift my research to a local history society or establishment, so I have to keep it in an easily readable, manageable form!!
Any thoughts (not too technical please!!) very much appreciated.
Sally
meekhcs

Re: Advice please

Postby ksouthall » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:14 pm

You could export it into a GEDCOM file which could be imported into a family history program on your pc. If you already have a family history program, you could try this out and see how you get on.

Alternatively, if you have Family Tree Maker, you could synchronise (sync) it into Family Tree Maker and it would be available on your pc once you end your Ancestry subscription.

If you don't have Family Tree Maker, you could buy the latest version which probably includes a 3 or 6 month free subscription to Ancestry.
ksouthall

Postby meekhcs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:23 am

Katherine
Thank you for your reply.I am considering Family Tree Maker, and if I can simply transfer data from Ancestry that may be the best way to go. What I don't want to do, through my ignorance, is lose data and have to start over again!! I also want to leave my Family History in a safe place for future generations to be able to access easily, without cost to them, should they wish to do so.
When I started researching in 2006 I thought it would be so easy to put all the info together in a simple book form. I never dreamt it would grow as it has done to the present day, (and I have kept very much to the direct lines), or that the research would never come to an end because more and more info is out there to be found!!
Sally
meekhcs

Postby ksouthall » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:11 am

Sally,

I also want to leave my family tree for other people to refer to. I have wondered before about using the publishing services on Ancestry but they are very expensive, especially if a branch is incomplete.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby coopernicola » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:16 am

I have discovered that using the publish area on Ancestry you can save your work as a .pdf file. This means you can get it printed up by your local print store quite easily. Either take the file on a memory stick or, as with mine, you can send a file direct and collect your print out (what ever size you want) later. This seems somewhat naughty but works out very reasonable.
coopernicola

Postby meekhcs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks very much for your helpful replies. I am going to have a good think about this over the Christmas period, chat to my children, and decide what to do after that.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby ksouthall » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:30 pm

[quote="coopernicola"]I have discovered that using the publish area on Ancestry you can save your work as a .pdf file. This means you can get it printed up by your local print store quite easily./quote]

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of this.
ksouthall

Return to Genealogy chat