Moderator Control Panel ]

Definitions in an Army record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Definitions in an Army record

Postby mike4182w » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:30 am

My grandfather served in World War 2 with the Royal Artillery.

On 14th Feb 1940 he was admitted to hospital under the 'X' list? Any ideas what that means?

Also, he was the sent to No.1 GBD which I believe is General Base Depot, but I have no idea what this means. I am presuming it is just a formation station before redeployment?

After this he then returned to France as part of of the British Expeditionary Force so have that part covered.

Thanks, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
mike4182w

Re: Definitions in an Army record

Postby ColinB » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:19 am

This is a quote from an article on the BBC People's War website :

"He later went sick and was away for over three weeks so, in accordance with the manual of military law I had him “X listed”, which meant that he had left the company and was available for posting. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 7032.shtml

If you Google X list WW2 there are quite a number of references and it looks like there were various categories of X list.
ColinB

Re: Definitions in an Army record

Postby John James » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm

ColinB wrote:This is a quote from an article on the BBC People's War website :

"He later went sick and was away for over three weeks so, in accordance with the manual of military law I had him “X listed”, which meant that he had left the company and was available for posting. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... 7032.shtml

If you Google X list WW2 there are quite a number of references and it looks like there were various categories of X list.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
John James

Return to Military help