Moderator Control Panel ]

Treasure In Your Own Garden

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Treasure In Your Own Garden

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Comment on Alan's latest blog - [url=http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouare.co.uk/localhistory.php]Click here to read it.[/url]
If you have any technical difficulties, email EdwardHerbert@magazine-services.co.uk
Admin

RE: Treasure In Your Own Garden

Postby margaretabram » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:20 pm

You are fortunate to be able to find "treasures" in your own garden. I, for example, live on interesting site that has been brickworks and a boat builder's yard. Unfortunately, when the houses were built all the topsoil was taken away and replaced at a later date. So digging in my garden produces nothing!

Behind my house is a treasure trove of Victorian rubbish where barges brought it down from London and dumped it, the ashes being used in the brick making process. This is all protected with fines of £700 being imposed on those caught digging. Last week four men were out in the fog digging and made such a mess that the farmer has been unable to put the newborn lambs out it the field because of the deep holes and broken glass.

Please, please, readers - enjoy digging in your own gardens and don't just dig anywhere. You could find yourself with a hefty fine. Some "heritage" needs to be left alone.
Mags
margaretabram

RE: Treasure In Your Own Garden

Postby Broadsword » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 pm

I remember my father finding a huge assortment of rubbish when he renovated the garden years back.

If my memory serves me correct, there was a huge number of old tiles and glass bottles. All we could deduce from that was plenty of tiles were either blown off or discarded by the builders. And they liked their Coca Cola.
Broadsword

Return to Local history