Moderator Control Panel ]

wdytya time zone

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: wdytya time zone

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 am

One last thing - just chose the view in browser option (as opposed to use the app) and the times of my posts are all changed to show 01:something instead of 00:something which is the correct time by my watch. All this from my smartphone running correct GMT. So my posts (the same posts) show two different times on the same device when looked at in two different ways. Go figure. ...

Sent from my GT-I8190N
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: wdytya time zone

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Meanwhile.... on my PC using the Forum in a browser.... I've just posted. The clock on my wall says 17:04 and I'm in the UK. When I look at the post it says "Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:00 pm". At the bottom of the page, it says "All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]"

Now, UTC is, for the old sort like me, GMT (not BST). So point one is that it shouldn't say DST if I'm in the UK. Point two is that even if it were UTC+0 not UTC+1, then it would read 6:00 pm when it isn't.

But here's where it gets "interesting". If I use the full-fat browser version of the Forum on my Android app, accessing it via 3G (i.e. avoiding my PC's connection), the same post is dated "Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 pm" and it says "All times are UTC [ DST ]" And I have no idea what UTC [ DST ] means! Unless it just means UTC plus one on a temporary summer-time basis.

In other words, it does look like the servers (where?) are stamping times in some peculiar fashion and my different access path results in different timestamps.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat