Moderator Control Panel ]

WWII DFM - no idea what for can't find any information

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WWII DFM - no idea what for can't find any information

Postby beverley wardle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi
This is my first post, I have been trying track down a DFM my father in law got as a rear gunner in WWII but none of the family knows what for. I have obtained the Gazzetted entry but it just states the date, have obtained his flying records but to be honest there was virtually nothing on it, presumed these records would have been full of information seeing as though he worked up the officer ranks, obtained a DFM and did two tours as a rear gunner. Where can I find out where to go next?
Many thanks in advance
beverley wardle

Re: WWII DFM - no idea what for can't find any information

Postby junkers » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:21 pm

If you know his unit then try The National Archives at Kew as they have the Squadron war diaries.
junkers

Postby jeffward » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:15 pm

The Distinguished Flying Medal was only issued to other ranks. Officers received the DFC. The usual rank for a rear gunner was a Flight Sergeant. Officers did not act as gunners. It quite possible he got the medal simply for surviving two tours of duty. A tour consisted of 30 flights over enemy territory and it was fairly uncommon to survive that many trips. The life expectancy in bomber command was quite short. Service records for the RAF are brief. I have my father's it simply shows a list of units names with dates. No locations or what was happening.You would never know he landed in France shortly after D-day and ended up in Copenhagen via Belgium Holland and Germany. The unit diary is the best bet. Jeff Ward
jeffward

Postby beverley wardle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks Jeffward

I think you may be right regarding the two tours as we know he did two and more and was brought back to fly on some ops. He was a Sergeant as you say and a gunnery leader, so maybe that is all it was for.
beverley wardle

Postby beverley wardle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Junkers

If I get the time I do want to visit Kew and look at his war records, after some more research as I live in the North of England so have to be prepared before I go.
beverley wardle

Return to Military help