Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Soldiers Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 Soldiers Records

Postby janmogs » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:43 pm

I have trawled through medal cards, pension records and service records on Ancestry and TNA but cannot find anything of certainty on my 2 great uncles. I do not know which regiment they served with but from crudely enlarging 1 cap badge think 1 served with The King's Shropshire Light Infantry. They were both born in Aberystwyth and died in their 20s of mustard gas poisoning. This is from my Grandmother's verbal history as she can remember nursing them during the night. I feel these poor boys are lost to me until I can trace their service records and learn something of their experience in the travesty of the 1st WW. Any suggestions as to how to proceed will be greatfully received.
janmogs

RE: WW1 Soldiers Records

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Janmogs,

I feel you are despairing too quickly. As far as I'm aware not all the records have been uploaded by Ancestry yet. I know this to be true because my father fought during WW1. I have had his service records for ages. I went to the National Archives and retrieved them in person but they still haven't appeared on Ancestry yet.

However, you do realise that many WW1 service records were destroyed by fire at the storage facility in Arnside Street, London during WW2 so some records will never be found.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby janmogs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 am

Many Thanks FHA, I had realised that many of the records were destroyed in the Blitz which is perhaps why my tone may be a little despairing!! I also have no idea which regiment they served with-I have uploaded their photo on the photo forum-which makes searching more difficult until I can confirm this. I appreciate your reply and will have to be patient until more records are uploaded.
Janmogs.
janmogs

Postby janmogs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:40 pm

By way of an update, Thanks to help I have received on this and the Photo forum, I have at last been able to obtain my great uncle Emrys's medal card-the one seated in the "hospital blues". I have also dug out the original photo and it is written on the back "Gomer and Emrys", in an older dated handwriting, which confirms The Scottish looking uniform is Gomer. I am now therefore looking for information as to how a Welshman could have become attached to a Scottish regiment, please. The photo is on the Photo forum and I am delighted to say flashes up on the website homepage, at present-what a surprise!!
janmogs.
janmogs

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:56 pm

I think you had all sorts of people in regiments that would not normally be associated with that county or country. I think it was done because whole villages of men would get killed, so I think later they began mixing the men up a bit, so that one village or town didn't suffer all the losses.

My husband's grandfather was from Sussex but he was put in the Norfolk Regiment. I hope this answers your question.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby janmogs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks FHA,
That makes a lot of sense when considering the losses suffered during the Great War.
Janmogs.
janmogs

Postby Ruth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:36 am

I agree with FHA. I went up to the National Archives and found the medical notes of my great-uncle in WW1 as he was dying throughout the night.

My grandfather was in the Iniskilling Fusiliers, and irish regiment and he was scottish - his three brothers were in scottish regiments so why he ended up in an irish regiment - and he joined over there as well - I haven't a clue!

Good luck to you

Ruth
R H Jenkins
Ruth

Postby janmogs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Thank you Ruth,
I am slowly finding more pieces for this jigsaw and the picture is becoming clearer. I really do need to get to TNA but living at the other end of the M4 it's not that easy.
It is heartening to get replies from others who have similar stories and successfully found the records they need. With luck my great uncles records may have survived the Blitz and may get posted online in the future. I have also discovered a third great uncle, one whom I knew as a child-a survivor-whose war history also now needs research!
If anyone knows of anywhere which also has WW1 service records as well as TNA, I would be very greatful for directions. I have seen somewhre that local LDS branches have the microfiches too. Can anyone enlighten me if here is truth in this?
Many Thanks,
janmogs.
janmogs

Postby Kathy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm

I am a new member and have been trawling my way through forums of interest when I spotted yours. I too have been trying to find details of my grandfather's WW1 service and through Ancestry obtained his service number. He served in 3 different regiments presumably because men left from campaigns where there were heavy losses joined new ones that still existed.
I live in North Wales, and have similar difficulties to you in searching at TNA. I therefore took the plunge recently and asked one of their researchers to look for me. It has been the best £60 I have ever spent as I now have his full service record and war diaries from the relevent regiments/campaigns he served with as well.
I would thoroughly recommend this method of obtaining information.

best wishes

Kathy
Kathy

Postby janmogs » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 am

It has been almost 10 months since I first made this post and some progress has been made, although I am still waiting patiently for Ancestry to get to "T" in the Service records, as their surname was Thomas. Being Cardiganshire born I am, lets say, careful where I spend my money!!
On another part of this forum I asked for help in identifying the boys' uniforms. Having successfully done that I was able to get their service numbers and medal cards. I was very surprised to find one had served with the Seaforth Highlanders, a Scottish regiment particularly as he was from Aberystwyth at the heart of Wales. His younger brother was with the King's Shropshire Light Infantry and I have been told by an authority on the regiment that he is listed as wounded (my grandmother's account is that both her brothers suffered mustard gas poisoning) in a Shropshire newspaper.
The search is slow but engrossing as I try to build the full picture. I have read about their regiments and was particularly interested in the programmes on various channels during Armistice week. They provided a real insight into the suffering endured by the soldiers including my two great uncles.
Many thanks for your advice but it can't be too much longer before Ancestry get to "T"-perhaps the next batch with a bit of luck. I am prepared for them not to be there though so it may be a case of approaching regimental museums.
janmogs

Next

Return to Military help