Moderator Control Panel ]

How to obtain a Soldiers Photo

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby warpo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:06 am

I've seen something like a service booklet for my partners grandad that had a photo of him inside, I think it contained all his service records, but what I do recall is that it contained a photo of him inside.

I'm trying to get a photo of my great grandfather who I know was in the 7th Lincolnshire Corps the year before he committed suicide on a trawler.

Though I don't know if it mattered because it was a very short service.

Frederick Alexander Wilmore
Service Number - 11728
31st Aug 1914 - Attested
5th Sep 1914 - (Cant understand document but think it reads "Fosted"
30th Nov 1914 - Discharged not being likely to become an efficient soldier (being medically unfit)

I don't know where else to look for a photo.

Many thanks in advance,
Dean
warpo

Postby coopernicola » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:25 pm

I think your partner must be very lucky not only to have a booklet but also a photograph as so many WWI records do not survive. Do you know if this is an army book or perhaps a merchant navy card, I believe these do include photographs. The few for relatives I have found, army service or pension records, have only had a written physical description.
BTW I think it reads "Posted" on your grandfathers papers. It's interesting he was initially deemed fit for service then discharged for having a dodgy knee.
coopernicola

Re: How to obtain a Soldiers Photo

Postby junkers » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:59 pm

It definitely says "Posted".

What you describe as a booklet sounds to me like a service record as a mariner which would list all of the ships he served on, there is one (out of thousands of records) in the BT 372 (Seamen's Pouches) at The National Archives that I have seen. Have you contacted the National Maritime Museum as they may have some records or perhaps there was an article in the newspapers, try the British Newspaper Archive.
junkers

Re: How to obtain a Soldiers Photo

Postby warpo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:51 pm

Yes my partners grandad was a seaman. Whereas mine was Army.

Guess that mattered then. I just presumed that with so many portrait images of soldiers that it was a requirement on signup.

Thanks for your replies
warpo

Return to Military help