Moderator Control Panel ]

Arthur railton

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Arthur railton

Postby richardrailton1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:10 pm

My parents were watching a programme and saw a name of Arthur railton on a plaque. He died in the First World War. That all the information I have. I'm not sure if he is related to me or not. Please can someone help

Sent from my iPod touch using WDYTYA Forum
richardrailton1

Re: Arthur railton

Postby nicolajr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Rank:LieutenantDate of Death:09/05/1915Age:24Regiment/Service:Seaforth Highlanders 4th Bn. Grave Reference: XVII. C. 23. Cemetery:CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZAdditional Information: Son of Joseph Arthur and Alice Temple Railton, of "Woodburn," Lightwood Rd., Buxton.

The details above are from the commonwealth war graves website. Do these match the information seen on the plaque?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
nicolajr

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:12 pm

All casualties from both World Wars are listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site (http://www.cwgc.org). That site has no casualty specifically named Arthur Railton. There are Alan, Alexander, Alfred and Austin Railtons, along with a Lieutenant A T Railton of the Seaforth Highlanders, who is noted as "Son of Joseph Arthur and Alice Temple Railton, of "Woodburn," Lightwood Rd., Buxton."

Looking at Ancestry's "British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920", the Lieutenant seems to be Arthur Temple Railton, address Woodburn, Lightwood Rd, Buxton, Derbyshire.

It might just be possible that they saw the Commemorative Plaque for Serjeant Arthur Railton Martin, died 1921, described as "Husband of Betsy Martin, of 11, Oswald St., London Rd., Carlisle".

However....
1. I am assuming that we are talking about a Commemorative Plaque issued to the next of kin of a soldier who died. There is no guarantee that what I call a plaque is what you call a plaque - though as death is mentioned, it is likely.

2. Trying to see if a named person is related to you is, in 99% of cases, a serious waste of your time. There will be dozens of ways that this person could be related, all of which you'd need to go through to see if there's any link. Your own family is fascinating enough - and you do know they are related.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby nicolajr » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 pm

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1413486658.389969.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1413486658.389969.jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Found a bit more about that Arthur Railton (a Google search with his name followed by WW1), so hope there are enough clues in this for you to tell if any of the names and places tie in with your own family.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
nicolajr

Return to Military help