Moderator Control Panel ]

Walter F G Cannon - Army Service Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Walter F G Cannon - Army Service Records

Postby Maddyco » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Is it possible to obtain the full army service records relating to my grandfather. I don't know when he died but as he was born in 1902, I have to presume that he is no longer alive. His daughter (my mother) is his nearest living next of kin & she would like to see these records. I have a lot of scraps of information about him but piecing it together has thrown up more questions than answers. His name is Walter Frederick George Cannon & I did find an army attestation document (service no. 1426134) on Find My Past but that record contains information that is contrary to family stories. One is that he supposedly deserted in 1933 /1934 but we have a letter from him dated 1935 with the return address 1/11th Field Battery R.A. Quetta, Baluchistan. The army attestation also states that he was discharged in 1945. He was apparently based at the Nelson Barracks in Norwich early on in his career & it has been said that he became a Regimental Sergeant Major. He disappeared out of everyone's lives in the 1940's & my mother would just like to know what happened to him. Have searched exhaustively through electoral records, ships passenger lists, death records. Recently made contact with someone who's been researching him as well, so now there's two of us in a state of confusion! Any help would be gratefully received.
Maddyco

Re: Walter F G Cannon - Army Service Records

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Service records for people in the Army after 1920 are all held by the MoD and cannot be accessed in any other way. See https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

The first problem is that in the absence of a death certificate, the MoD will not assume anyone is dead until something like 120y(???) after their birth. No DC means no release until that length of time has passed. I didn't see what that value was so, I could be wrong - if it was 110y, for instance, then the data would be released. You need to check that time-since-birth limit.

Even where the time-since-birth has passed or you have a death certificate, you will still not get the full details without the consent of the next of kin until 25y after the death of the soldier. This is alleged to be to protect the soldier's family.

Unfortunately, it does look like you really need that DC if you want to get the stuff any time soon.

Adrian
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Walter F G Cannon - Army Service Records

Postby Maddyco » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Good grief! Looks like this is going to be difficult. Thanks so much, anyway, for your help.
Maddyco

Return to Military help