Moderator Control Panel ]

Forces War Records (military identification)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Forces War Records (military identification)

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

EricHeaton wrote:Hello Mr Bennington

Attached is an image of my Great Grandfather, Hugh Edward Malloy who served in the Boer War. Can you identify his uniform. He later served in WW1 as a Company Quartermaster. Thank you, Eric Heaton

Hello Eric,

A couple of your posts have come up without an attachment. Happy to answer them at a later date, but I'll do the quoted one for now.

I can't identify the uniform I'm afraid. The soft slouch hat he is wearing is at just the right angle to obscure any cap badge he might be wearing.

He's also not got any collar badges on which might suggest a unit.

The Bandolier he is wearing could suggest a mounted unit but then there were a fair few of those fighting in the Boer War!

Sorry about that.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

www.forces-war-records.co.uk
TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

lyngil wrote:This photo is of William Alfred Grange of Bushey, Herts and his six sons who all served in WWI and, to quote their mother Caroline, "came through without a scratch".
They are back row L - R William J Grange, Arthur H Grange , Stephen J Grange
Front row L - R Edward Grange, Frederick E Grange, William Alfred Grange, Samuel Grange.
We know that Arthur served in Australian Imperial Army and that Edward served with 7th battalion Essex Regt because we have their service records.
We know that Stephen was a gunner in 156th Brigade BEF and Frederick appears to have the same cap badge. That leaves William ( back left) and Samuel (Front right). Please can you help identify their units from their cap badges? A letter dated 22.11.18 says that William is in Egypt and Samuel is in Scotland.
Thank you.

Hi Lyngil,

I think William J Grange is Essex Regiment by the cap badge. He appears to be wearing a Military Medal as well and with a bit of digging I found the following record on our website:

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/vie ... arrowLinks

Edward you say was in the 7th Battalion of the Essex Regiment, but he appears to be wearing the Cap Badge of the Labour Corps in this photo. In addition I found a record that suggests he was also in the Northamptonshire Regiment beforehand:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D2404828

What documents were you able to find that say he was in the Essex Regiment?

Samuel appears to have been in the Loyal North Lancashire regiment and has a Long Service, Good Conduct Stripe on his left cuff.

I'd be happy to continue looking at this photo, but I'm afraid I'm already well over the allotted time and my Office will be closing in about 15 Minutes! So I will have to leave it until next week.

I'll be back on Monday at the same time, jonbauckham will pass on some closing details for you all.

Have a great weekend everyone, I hope my answers were helpful!

Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Firstly, a huge thank you to Tom for staying on for an extra hour to answer questions – we really appreciate it! We're delighted by how many people have taken part in the chat.

If you haven't had your query answered yet, don't worry! Tom has kindly agreed to return at 2pm on Monday 20th October to post responses to the dozen or so forum users who are still awaiting advice.

Otherwise, do make full use of Forces War Records' excellent military photograph identification service here:

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/photo-expert

Have a great weekend!

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Tigertabby » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 pm

TomBen wrote:
Tigertabby wrote:My Great Uncle, Charles Wesley Marr,was born in 1896 and was killed in France on 11 September 1916 . He was serving with the First Surrey Rifles – 2/21 London Regiment which was a TA regiment. After Charles died, 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Antrobus wrote to Charles's father, also Charles Marr, to say that he was actually in the trench and witnessed the death Charles Wesley. At the time Arthur was serving in the 8th Middlesex but was attached to 2/21 London Regiment (First Surrey Rifles) in which Charles served. After his death, Charles Senior and Arthur seem to have struck up a friendship and continued to write to each other during the course of WW1 and I now have some of Arthur's letters and photos that I believe Arthur may be in. Are you able to tell from the picture and taking into account Arthur’s rank, if he may be in these pictures? I have no idea where these pictures were taken! I’d be grateful for any help or pointers. Thank you.

Hello Tigertabby,

Well, the only Officer in the picture is the chap sat in the very centre, not wearing a cap.

He holds the rank of Captain however, but depending on when the photo was taken in relation to your Great Uncle's death it could be Arthur.

His collar badges, while a little difficult to make out, do look like First Surrey Rifles of the London Regiment.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Thank you Tom, that's amazing. Arthur did make the rank of Captain and it's great to be able to identify him. Thank you!
Tigertabby

Postby coopernicola » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:36 pm

TomBen wrote:
coopernicola wrote:Could you help ID the badges on these uniforms for my brother-in-law. We believe the men were RFA in the 1870-1890 period, and that one was a gunnery instructor.
I hope it's not cheeky asking two questions, Nicola.

A sneaky second Question Nicola, but it's a quick one so I'll bite!

I think the badge is an Assistant Gunnery Instructor.

The other soldier I think is a Sergeant Gunner.

Regards,

Tom

Great, thanks again. Nicola
coopernicola

Postby coopernicola » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:39 pm

TomBen wrote:
coopernicola wrote:Hello Tom,
My husband’s grandfather Walter Watson Fisher (c1886-1931), RFA 44615, was awarded the DCM right at the end of WWI, he was a gunner promoted to sergeant. The London Gazette citation only states “for gallantry whilst in charge of his sub-section, and in particular during the operations near St Quentin & Catillon in October & November 1918. He has shown a splendid example to those under him”.
We would love to know what exactly he did to earn the medal as this is somewhat vague. A copy of the relevant War Diary has no mention of him by name, nor of any action where others were recommended for medals. Can you suggest anywhere else we could find this information?
We have not managed to find any service/pension records for him and would be interested to find out more about his career before WWI (even his DoB is unknown as there are no registrations in his full name and many Walter’s!). His prayer book (attached) detailed each place he was posted including time in India.
Nicola & Steve

Hello Nicola and Steve,

As its the Citation for a DCM you are looking for it will possibly be in The National Archives.

Pension records are also at the Archives under WO364. He will only appear here if he drew a Military Pension however.

Service records for First World War personnel are gold dust unfortunately. A fire where the records were stored in London thanks to German bombing in 1940 destroyed almost the entire collection...

This is a possible medal card match: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D3485174

Kind Regards,

Tom

Thank you for this, I can now plan a few days in London with the excuse we need to go to TNA! Steve will enjoy helping if it's for his grandfather & hopefully we'll also get to see the poppies at the Tower.
Regards Nicola
coopernicola

Postby TomBen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:24 pm

sarahlou13 wrote:This photo was found in a family archive, but we're not sure who it is. If you were able to determine the regiment, era (etc) from the uniform, then it would probably help us pinpoint who he is...

Thanks very much!

Good Afternoon all, I'm back for another hour this afternoon to see if I can finish off the last few requests and perhaps add to the others.

Hi Sarahlou13,

Going by the collar badges and the arrangement of the buttons on his uniform i'd definitely say Coldstream Guards.

As for an era, I can't say for certain. Photography was invented in the 1820's so at some point after that! The Guards dress uniform has remained relatively un-changed right up to the present which can make era identification difficult.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 pm

firescotty wrote:Hi,

I am trying to locate my Grandfathers service records. He was Augustus Fraser, private in the ASC, M/379445.
The picture here shows him on the left alongside his mates who I believe are being given driver training. Website HMVF suggested that lorry was registered in civilian MC reg for Middlesex MC9147.

I would like to try and find out what company/unit etc of ASC to try and work out where he served. Other pictures show him in Germany.

It may be that his records were one of the burnt ones. :(

Hello firescotty,

Much like the other Support Regiments and Corps, it can be very difficult to track down the company or unit a member of the ASC was in or what regiments they were attached to.

None of the soldiers in this photo are wearing or displaying any company identifiers.

The only record I can find with a quick search is the Medal Index Card which I'm afraid only indicates ASC.

You can try a search on the National Archives to see if there is a muster roll or perhaps a surviving Attestation Record for your Grandfather. I can't guarantee you will find anything though and as you surmise his record was very probably one of the one's destroyed.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Amareargentum wrote:This is a photo of my Grandfather, Sidney Thomas Gregory, he is the one sitting on the barrel. We know nothing about his involvement in WW1, indeed as he was born in August 1900 we thought he would have been too young to have enlisted I am keen to identify his regiment so I have a better chance of finding his war record.

Hello Amareargentum,

Really hard to distinguish the details of the cap badge in the picture so I tried a quick medal index card search on the National Archives and found a Private in the Army Service Corps (ASC) which is a possible match:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D2451780

This is only a possible match as there were a few Sidney Gregory's which could also be correct.

If you have a higher quality version of the picture i'd be happy to have another look and try and confirm the regiment.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 pm

patvnz wrote:Hello Mr Bennington, I have a picture here taken in 1946 of my Uncle from Limerick, Eire. Would you be able to identify anything further from it - we have no knowledge of where or which regiment he served with. Many thanks! Pat Varey

Hello Pat,

I'm sorry but I have not seen this badge before! Even drafting in a couple of colleagues in the office has produced no results, but alas none of us are that familiar with units of the Irish Army.

If you don't mind I'm going to copy this image over to a different colleague of mine who works from home and was a Sergeant in the British Army, he's very good with little known badges of the British Army and I'm hoping he may have seen this design before.

Very sorry about that, not often me and my colleagues are defeated. I was able to answer some questions about a Hungarian Artillery unit not too long ago, and yet a question about an Irish badge and I'm stumped! :?

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats