Moderator Control Panel ]

Forces War Records (military identification)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Forces War Records (military identification)

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:34 pm

NikkiS wrote:Hi, this picture came from my grandparents things, but unfortunately The family do not have any idea of who anyone is. I was wondering if you would be able to identify the soldiers' regiments to see whether this can narrow things down a bit for me. Many thanks in advance for your help
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1413218354.708981.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Hi Nikki,

The jury's out on this one as the badge is a little hard to make out.

I and my colleagues think it is the Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regiment.

If you know a name, a quick search on Forces War Records or perhaps through the Medal Cards at The National Archives might help get you some more information.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

www.forces-war-records.co.uk
TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:41 pm

EFeetham wrote:This is a photo of my Great Grandfather Joseph Feetham (the one on the right of the picture) but I don't know what the uniform is - it's likely to be WW1. Any help to get me started would be appreciated. Thanks

Photo 0349.jpg

Hi there E Feetham!

Both of these chaps look like they've picked up a few souvenirs from their travels! One on the left is wearing a German Cap what I think might be a Kratzchen. The other is wearing a German helmet called a Pickelhaube.

The soldier on the right appears to be in standard British Uniform and I thought it might have been Army Service Corps badges on his collar, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you've got a higher quality scan I'd be happy to have another look!

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby mike25225 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:43 pm

Sorry - have absolutely no helpful information, but would very much like to know probable regiment (cavalry?).

Thanks and kind regards,

Mike Watson.
mike25225

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm

bernie hudson wrote:Hello

This is a photo of my Grandad Arthur Massey – sat on the front row holding a pair of crutches.

I believe he received a gas related injury to his leg, he had leg ulcers that never healed until the day he died in 1972.

Pte 19874 in the Army Cycling Corps; Pte 285554 in the Welsh Regiment

Enlisted 19.4.15 Discharged 6.11.19

I'm hoping to find out where the picture was taken, would it be France or England? Together of course with any other information

Thanks Bernie

Hello Bernie,

We get asked this type of question a lot and I'm sorry but I couldn't tell you where this picture was taken. There just aren't any distinguishing features.

As for your Grandad, Forces War Records are currently transcribing Medical data from the First World War, perhaps he will appear in there if he hasn't already!

It's a collection of 1.5 Million records so although it isn't everyone, it's a fairly significant "chunk" that hasn't been seen before.

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/mil ... al-records

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Tara Riddle wrote:Hope I can ask this question:
How can I find out more about what specific RAF units were doing at various times in WW2?
I have my father's RAF service record. But I want to know why his unit was sent to various places.
Who can I contact?
Thanks, Tara

Hello Tara,

The "Why" is often never explained in Military records. I've seen records of soldier's on some of the strangest postings in my short time at Forces War Records!

Anyway, there are RAF Operational Records books in the TNA but I don't think they will explain any more of the "Why?" than you've already got and they are generally geared towards Aircrews so would be useless if your Dad was Ground Crew for example.

It's always worth having a chat with the unit's museum if they have one, even the RAF museum might be able to shed some light!

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/re ... iries.aspx

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:03 pm

timhomewood wrote:The attached photo is part of our family photo collection but we haven't been able to identify the two chaps who look like brothers. Any help with the time period and army unit and other information would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

(Sorry the attachment didn't work).

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry but there's not a whole lot I can make out on these two gents.

The soldier on the right is wearing a bandolier which signifies either Mounted Troops or Corps Troops.

His Cap Badge looks almost like an Artillery cap badge but I couldn't say with any certainty.

If you've got a higher quality scan i'd be happy to have another look!

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Stratman wrote:Wondering if you can help me identify the regiments / units of these ancestors who served during WW1. Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,

The cap badges on both soldiers are very difficult to make out.

The soldier sitting down might be 5th (City of London) Battalion (London Rifle Brigade). He's also wearing some kind of patch on his arm which could be divisional insignia, trade or proficiency badge. Unfortunately the camera has washed it out making it unidentifiable.

If this is the result of scanning the image, please feel free to re-upload and i'd be happy to have another look.

Kind Regards,
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm

JonathanJB wrote:I've just found a photo of my Great Grandfather taken in c. 1917 (making him about 39) which shows him an army uniform. I haven't previously found any military records for him, so would appreciate any help in identifying the uniform. Thanks

Hi Jonathan,

It's a bit unclear again, but the cap badge is reminiscent of the Hussars, 10th or 11th maybe.

The Bandolier also suggests mounted troops.

Again, if you've got a higher quality scan you can upload please feel free! I'd be happy to have another look.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Tigertabby wrote:My Great Uncle, Charles Wesley Marr,was born in 1896 and was killed in France on 11 September 1916 . He was serving with the First Surrey Rifles – 2/21 London Regiment which was a TA regiment. After Charles died, 2nd Lieutenant Arthur Antrobus wrote to Charles's father, also Charles Marr, to say that he was actually in the trench and witnessed the death Charles Wesley. At the time Arthur was serving in the 8th Middlesex but was attached to 2/21 London Regiment (First Surrey Rifles) in which Charles served. After his death, Charles Senior and Arthur seem to have struck up a friendship and continued to write to each other during the course of WW1 and I now have some of Arthur's letters and photos that I believe Arthur may be in. Are you able to tell from the picture and taking into account Arthur’s rank, if he may be in these pictures? I have no idea where these pictures were taken! I’d be grateful for any help or pointers. Thank you.

Hello Tigertabby,

Well, the only Officer in the picture is the chap sat in the very centre, not wearing a cap.

He holds the rank of Captain however, but depending on when the photo was taken in relation to your Great Uncle's death it could be Arthur.

His collar badges, while a little difficult to make out, do look like First Surrey Rifles of the London Regiment.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 pm

HeyerFan wrote:I have been told that this is a photo of my 3 x Great Grandfather, his wife and some of his children. Thomas was born in 1825 and joined the 76th Regt of Foot in 1840, serving for 24 years (rising from Pte to Sgt). On his discharge in 1864 he was appointed a 1st Class Sergeant Instructor on the permanent staff of the Galloway Rifle Volunteers. However, I have been told that the uniform shown in this photo is that of the Royal Engineers. Is there any reason why he might have been photographed in a RE uniform? Or, is this not my relative at all? What date would you say this photo was taken? I do not own the original photo and therefore have no knowledge as to where it was taken. With thanks for any help you can give me!

Hello HeyerFan,

His shoulder insignia is that of a Royal Engineer.

It looks to be mid-late 1800's uniform which is no surprise given his date of birth!

He also looks to have crossed rifles on his left cuff, but given the angle it's very difficult to make out. Crossed Rifles at the cuff indicates a Marksman Proficiency badge so he was evidently a good shot!

I wouldn't want to say either way whether this was definitely your relative or not. Sometimes photographers handed props to soldiers, and dressed them up in different uniforms, particularly when they were on a set.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats