Moderator Control Panel ]

Forces War Records (military identification)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Forces War Records (military identification)

Postby AndyD » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 am

Hi, I'm struggling to identify the cap badge on this photo taken in 1920, I believe if the badge can be identified I will be able to confirm who I think the officer is.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.
Attachments
Cyril Gough Richards.jpg
Cyril Gough Richards.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
AndyD

Postby l.fransham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi,
One of my husband's ancestors has caused us lots of confusion. For ages I couldn't find any evidence f William Frederick Cross after his marriage to Caroline Lloyd in 1885 in Croydon, Surrey. One day an image of him popped up as a hint on Ancestry and we discovered that he had left his wife and young family and gone to Canada. One of the photos was this one. I have found records for a William Cross in K Company, 2nd battalion of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada and I am wondering if they fit the picture of this man in uniform?

The records show that William went to Canada to undertake 12 days annual drill in July 1886 and Jul 1887. It would appear that he came back to England during that time. He is eventually recorded marrying Emma Marion Parker Smith in Feb 1890 having not divorced his first wife. I am wondering why would a man employed as railway signalman in England go and do 12 days annual drill thousands of miles away in Canada? Surely the cost of the journey would have been more than he could afford? Did the Canadian Army pay for English men to come over to serve in their army?

I would be very grateful if you can throw any light on the subject.
Many thanks.
Attachments
William Frederick Cross.jpg
William Frederick Cross.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
l.fransham

Postby ataraxia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Apologies, I don't have a photograph to share but I am interested in how I might find any information about John (known as Jack) Hayes from Kilmore Quay in county Wexford. He served as a Private in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and we were told that he landed on V Beach at Gallipoli in WWI and was one of only a handful to (briefly) capture the fortification. We understand that he was on the Gallipoli peninsula for an extended period and then subsequently served at various battles on the Western Front and was demobbed in Scotland from a Scottish regiment, possibly in Paisley.

We believe he had a medical evacuation to Egypt. We also heard that he was on home leave during the Easter Rising and was considered AWOL as was late returning due to the surrounding unrest so arrested and held with some IRA men who escaped

We are struggling to find any documentary evidence of any of this as we aren't certain about the service number, especially if he was transferred to a different regiment. Is there any help you could give trying to pursue any leads?

Many thanks
ataraxia

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello everyone!

Thanks for joining us today, and thanks especially to Tom Bennington from Forces War Records for agreeing to be our special guest! Tom will be online for the next hour to answer your questions and impart his words of wisdom. Due to the overwhelming number of queries posted in advance he may not have time to answer everything, but will do his best.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Nicola.alesbrook wrote:We have come across this picture in a pile of family photos but nobody seems to know anything about it. Written on the back it says Robbie and Renee Robinson in my grandmothers (Evelyn Simpson nee Brook) writing. We haven't found either of these names in any family history. Please can you help us identify the regiment? And any other detail. Thank you. Nicola Alesbrook (nee Simpson)

Afternoon all!

Pleasure to be here and help you with your questions, I'm overwhelmed by the response! There's a few prepared answers here as I've had a bit of time to look over the thread responses. So I'll fire these off as quick as possible:

Nicola,

The groom in your picture looks to be from the Cameron Highlanders.

I did a quick search and found 2 Medal Index cards for Robert Robinson's on The National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... ighlanders

I'm sorry I couldn't narrow it down further.

Regards,

Tom
Last edited by TomBen on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

www.forces-war-records.co.uk
TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:15 pm

grampy47 wrote:Among the photographs we have of my grandfather George Wade who was awarded a DCM at the end of WWI and served in the Royal Garrison Artillery as a BSM was this one. Can't trace the uniform or likely date. Possibly from his first enlistment which we believe was under his real name of George Hooper (Wade was his mothers name which he used for some reason for the rest of his life.
Any suggestions

Hello Grampy,

I think this is your Grandad in Undress Uniform from the very late 1800's, 1880-1890.

The collar badges (Pre-1915) suggest the 1st King's Dragoon Guards.

I can't find any mention of him pre-First World War but I was able to find a George Wade who was a awarded the DCM which gave his Regimental number as 9379 and rank as Warrant Officer Class 2 in the Royal Garrison Artillery:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D5691908

Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:20 pm

coopernicola wrote:Hello Tom,
My husband’s grandfather Walter Watson Fisher (c1886-1931), RFA 44615, was awarded the DCM right at the end of WWI, he was a gunner promoted to sergeant. The London Gazette citation only states “for gallantry whilst in charge of his sub-section, and in particular during the operations near St Quentin & Catillon in October & November 1918. He has shown a splendid example to those under him”.
We would love to know what exactly he did to earn the medal as this is somewhat vague. A copy of the relevant War Diary has no mention of him by name, nor of any action where others were recommended for medals. Can you suggest anywhere else we could find this information?
We have not managed to find any service/pension records for him and would be interested to find out more about his career before WWI (even his DoB is unknown as there are no registrations in his full name and many Walter’s!). His prayer book (attached) detailed each place he was posted including time in India.
Nicola & Steve

Hello Nicola and Steve,

As its the Citation for a DCM you are looking for it will possibly be in The National Archives.

Pension records are also at the Archives under WO364. He will only appear here if he drew a Military Pension however.

Service records for First World War personnel are gold dust unfortunately. A fire where the records were stored in London thanks to German bombing in 1940 destroyed almost the entire collection...

This is a possible medal card match: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... r/D3485174

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby l.fransham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:24 pm

We found this photo in my Grandad's paper shortly after he died earlier this year. My Grandad served in the Royal Artillery in WWII in the 143rd LAA in India.
We were wondering who this man might be? We don't think that he is my grandad although it could be him dressed in local dress. He is obviously a military man from his medals.

Any ideas?
Many thanks.
Attachments
Man in a turban 2.jpg
Man in a turban 2.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
l.fransham

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 pm

jaykayare wrote:I would like to identify the Royal Engineers Unit with which Spr 180629 Harry E Wilkinson (born Yorkshire 1881) served in 1914-1918. His medal card shows he was awarded the British and Victory medals (which his family don't remember ever seeing) but his attestation record does not survive. His name does not appear in the 1916 Leeds Absent Voters list (the only one I have been able to track down).

All his family know was that he fought in Salonika against, and later with, the Bulgarians. I thought this, and him being a plumber by trade, might narrow down his Unit but The Long, Long Trail website gives several that fought in Salonika.

The cropped photo (the whole being 49 men) shows the officers/NCOs of his unit, one of whom has additional ?crossed, emblems/badges on his upper arms. Do they help in identifying the Unit?

I would be grateful if you could suggest a possible/probable Unit or give me any other pointers to help me to identify it.

Thank you.

Hello Jaykayare,

I'm sorry but tracking Royal Engineer units can be very difficult if not impossible, they tended to get parceled out all over the place. The British had 6 Divisions in Salonika at various times with various Royal Engineer detachments.

There might be a muster roll at the National Archives to provide more information, but I'm uncertain as to whether it has been electronically indexed or not.

As for the Crossed symbol on the soldier arms, there was a bit of debate when I showed some colleagues.

I initially thought they were crossed swords which would suggest a Physical Training Instructor or Gymnastics Instructor. A Colleague believes them to be Crossed Rifles which indicates a Rifle (Musketry) Instructor however.

They unfortunately do not help to identify the unit as they were common to many different units and regiments.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

Postby TomBen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:31 pm

coopernicola wrote:Could you help ID the badges on these uniforms for my brother-in-law. We believe the men were RFA in the 1870-1890 period, and that one was a gunnery instructor.
I hope it's not cheeky asking two questions, Nicola.

A sneaky second Question Nicola, but it's a quick one so I'll bite!

I think the badge is an Assistant Gunnery Instructor.

The other soldier I think is a Sergeant Gunner.

Regards,

Tom
Tom Bennington BA
Researcher
Forces War Records

TomBen

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats