Moderator Control Panel ]

Forces War Records (military identification)

Quiz genealogists, authors and staff from leading family history organisations in our weekly web chats. Post your questions in advance, or hop on each Friday afternoon to join the conversation live

Re: Forces War Records (military identification)

Postby firescotty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,

I am trying to locate my Grandfathers service records. He was Augustus Fraser, private in the ASC, M/379445.
The picture here shows him on the left alongside his mates who I believe are being given driver training. Website HMVF suggested that lorry was registered in civilian MC reg for Middlesex MC9147.

I would like to try and find out what company/unit etc of ASC to try and work out where he served. Other pictures show him in Germany.

It may be that his records were one of the burnt ones. :(
Attachments
grandad fraser and his fellow soldiers and their truck.jpg
ASC driver training
grandad fraser and his fellow soldiers and their truck.jpg (80.81 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
firescotty

Postby Amareargentum » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 pm

This is a photo of my Grandfather, Sidney Thomas Gregory, he is the one sitting on the barrel. We know nothing about his involvement in WW1, indeed as he was born in August 1900 we thought he would have been too young to have enlisted I am keen to identify his regiment so I have a better chance of finding his war record.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.06 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
Last edited by Amareargentum on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amareargentum

Postby patvnz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Hello Mr Bennington, I have a picture here taken in 1946 of my Uncle from Limerick, Eire. Would you be able to identify anything further from it - we have no knowledge of where or which regiment he served with. Many thanks! Pat Varey
Attachments
Uncle Mick in Irish army Jan 46.jpg
Uncle Mick in Irish army Jan 46.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
patvnz

Postby patvnz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Hello Mr Bennington - another picture - this time of my Grandad taken around 1916. He is the one at the front proudly displaying his new watch, saved up for over many weeks! I believe he served in the RFA, but I'm wondering if it's possible to identify where this photo may have been taken. I'm also interested in the various hats being worn by some of his colleagues...one in particular looks like a NZ/ANZAC hat?

The second picture is of him on his wedding day 1921 in full uniform.

Thanks so much! Pat
Attachments
Grandma and Grandad wedding xx.jpg
Grandma and Grandad wedding xx.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Grandad in WW1.jpg
Grandad in WW1.jpg (66.27 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
patvnz

Postby ellesmagee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:01 pm

My great Uncle John(Johnston) Connor, from Downpatrick, N Ireland, fought in WW1. He survived the war. I dont know which regiment he fought in or the theatre of war. I have 2 photos, one of a boxing match and a second one of the men taking refreshments following the match, and he is included in both. I am attaching the latter. Is it possible to tell from the photo where he might have fought

Hi again
Ive previously posted looking for info thinking that during WW1 J Connor was in the RIR but have since discovered that there is no proof of this and that it was an assumption based on an earlier attestation paper. Ive been informed that the helmets worn by the soldiers in the photos were circa 1913/14 rather than an earlier war period so I'm not sure where he fought

warmest regards
Attachments
Johnston Connor-front row second from left.jpg
Johnston Connor-front row second from left.jpg (192.56 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Last edited by ellesmagee on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellesmagee

Postby Jill Turner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:32 am

Hi, I have this photo amongst my family album, do not know who it is but hope that identification of the uniform may help me identify the person pictured.
Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Regards Jill
Attachments
Unknown 7 smaller.jpg
Unknown 7 smaller.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Jill Turner

Postby KatieHowson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 am

Hello, I am hoping you can help me date this photograph. It's of someone with the surname Ellis, from Norwich. I'm thinking it's late nineteenth century, but it would be great if someone with more knowledge of military uniforms could confirm or otherwise! The instrument is a dulcimer, popular between 1850-1920. Many thanks.
Attachments
Ellis dulcimer.jpg
Ellis dulcimer.jpg (139.58 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
KatieHowson

Postby sue latham » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 am

Hello, is it possible to identify my great uncle's regiment from this photo or any other information? His name is Harold Christopher Miller (called Chris) b.Dec 1898 in Bridgwater and lived in Frome, Somerset at the outbreak of WW1. I cannot find his papers or indeed those of his two brothers in the photo Austin Gerald MacDonald Miller b.Mar 1900 in Bridgwater and William Dundonald Miller b.June 1901 in Swindon, who joined later.
Many thanks
Attachments
MacChrisWill.jpg
MacChrisWill.jpg (120.21 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
sue latham

Postby mrsmooshoes » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:44 am

This is a photo of my great grandfather, John Carter, b. 10 Nov 1892 in Preston, Lancashire.

By 1911, he was living in Poulton-le-Fylde under the name John Ismay, with Isaac Ismay and his mother Elizabeth, who said they were married but actually weren't (Elizabeth's first husband, John's father, was still living, I believe).

My Nan used to tell the story of how John was one of the first men in Poulton to sign up in WW1 and, she said, was featured in the local newspaper. With such a common name, I haven't managed to conclusively find any service records and would appreciate any help with identifying his regiment etc from the photo.

Many thanks!
Attachments
John Carter (Annie's father).jpg
John Carter (Annie's father).jpg (71.53 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
mrsmooshoes

Postby Jane51 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 am

Can you identify the uniform in the photo found among my grandmother's old photos? All I know is that it is cavalry and probably WW1. The back of the photo is a postcard and it was taken by Harvey & Co. Liss, Hants. I do hope you will be able to tell me the name of the regiment.
Attachments
Uniform2.jpg
Uniform2.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
Jane51

PreviousNext

Return to Live web chats